Audio/video stream splitting

Does anyone know how to split the audio/video streaming signal into two separate sources to get hi-res audio instead of it being downsampled? I was watching a YouTube video ( Using a SMART TV as a MUSIC STREAMER - YouTube ) by John Darko where he mentions Roon has a feature that enables you to send the audio to a DAC and the video (Now Playing info) to my QLED tv (at the 13:18 mark of the video) thereby allowing for hi-res audio to be streamed through the Chromecast w/Google TV. In my case, I’ve sideloaded Roon on to my Chromecast w/Google TV which is connected to my McIntosh pre/pro’s HDMI. I can get Now Playing info on my QLED tv and audio through my stereo but due to the audio/video being combined I can only get 48/16 or at best 48/24. Does anyone know how to do this? Thank you in advance

I think he’s talking about the “Displays” feature, not actually splitting audio from video—the split he’s referring to is that the devices handling video and audio are actually separate.

1 Like

Thank you for the response, but what I’m trying to do is use the Bluesound app on my android phone (Or Ipad) to send the audio signal to the Node2i and the Now Playing screen to my Samsung tv. In the video mentioned above, he tells you that you can do it, however when I try by choosing first (on the app when now playing ) the icon in the lower-left corner and choose the Node 2i THEN click on the speaker icon in the lower right and choose display > Chromecast to display the Now Playing screen on my tv (as described in the video) it doesn’t work. It doesn’t work I think because if you connect everything to a home theater receiver or separates they only play one source at a time but I would think that applies to any consumer audio product so I don’t know how he does it.

" It doesn’t work I think because if you connect everything to a home theater receiver or separates they only play one source at a time…"

Yes, that’s correct.

He does it by sending the audio to a device that is different from the device controlling the TV. Like sending audio to an endpoint/amp, and using the above linked method to send it to a tv that is complete unconnected.

Another way to do this is to use the appletv app .

Andrew, thanks for the replies I can’t tell how much I appreciate it. I canceled my Plex subscription because their online help (and any other method) is non-existent, so this was a breath of fresh air. I went back and looked closely at the video I mentioned above and with your added help I figured it out as you quoted me from my previous text. It’s when I realized his Chromecast was in his tv’s HDMI and not his amp/streamer that it all hit home. So I just bought another Chromecast that will go into my tv’s HDMI and the other one will stay in my pre/pro. For about $600 ( US) I bought the Bluesound and the Chromecast and put the Roon CORE on my Synology NAS that I already had and I’m good to go. Thanks again for the help, stay safe, Ron S

I’m glad I could help.

Not that I want to muddy the clear waters of your solution, but does the Bluesound thingy not behave as an endpoint without the Chromecast? (I don’t know much about Bluesound thingies,)

The Bluesound is a music streamer/DAC and can be used without a Chromecast. But the Bluesound can’t stream Now Playing info to a display like your tv, If you want to display the Now Playing info on a tv you need something that can like a Chromecast. The Bluesound is an endpoint and finds my music on my networked Synology NAS with the Roon Core on it. So I open the Roon app (which is tied to the Bluesound Node as well), and I choose my music in the app which sees the Roon core on my NAS with my music. The app then sends the signal to the Bluesound which then tells the NAS to play the music through my McIntosh separates and then out my speakers. That’s the audio part, if you want the now playing to show on a display you then split the stream from the Roon app, audio goes to the Bluesound or any other streamer you have and the Now Playing info is split and goes to the Chromecast which is connected to an HDMI input on your tv. You switch the TV to the HDMI input the Chromecast is on and the separates or receiver are switched to the source the Bluesound is connected to. The ONLY reason I do all this is because audio and music streamed directly with a Chromecast is downsampled to lower quality. If you separate the streams the audio quality is bit-perfect and that’s what I wanted. If your fine with lower quality audio you can just get a Chromecast and have audio and video go through one streamer but with compromised audio. Hope that makes sense.

Darko uses hisTV as a network streamer. Take that Lumin. :smirk:

I got the impression

“So I just bought another Chromecast that will go into my tv’s HDMI and the other one will stay in my pre/pro”

that you were somehow utilizing two Chromcasts, and that’s confusing.

I would have expected RoonCore>Bluesound>separates
and RoonCore Display>Chromecast>TV

Andrew, I see your confusion. The sole reason I have 2 Chromecast’s is that the other Chromecast is directly connected to my pre/pro and therefore I can get audio and video through my separates in full home theater capacity. a Chromecast directly connected to my tv will only have tv audio or the audio through a soundbar. I use the pre/pro Chromecast for streaming movies etc and the tv Chromecast just for splitting the Bluesound audio signal so I can get hi-res music. The audio on the tv Chromecast which would come through my tv speakers is muted so only the Now Playing screen is used. Remember the only way to get hi-res music is to split the audio-video signal and that requires separate sources, in my case one Chromecast on my tv as a video (Now Playing) source and the Bluesound Node connected to my pre/pro with a coax digital cable is the audio source. The other Chromecast connected to my pre/pro is not related to this it’s for movies with Home Theater. Hope that clarifies things.

1 Like