Audiophile Switch Experiment Results

So, it’s true that they’re dependant on the wiring quality in the house for network bandwidth. My son and I rely on it for gaming and work and it supports us both at the same time so not too shabby. This house was rewired in the last 5 years.

Is suspect the RF noise depends on the powerline hardware you buy, and how well other devices are shielded. I’ve never noticed an issue.

Roon reliability is a hink, mostly OK but Roon occasionally falls out with it and drops the endpoint. The more I experiment with Roon networking the more I put this down to Roon’s demanding network requirements as much I as do the network.

Yep phono stages are pretty sensitive things amplifying tiny signals. It came through as a random clicking very irritating. It look me while to work out it was the powerlines. It didn’t make any difference digital side and it didn’t affect the main amp at all just the phono stage.

1 Like

Yep, a decent functioning phono stage is probably one of the tougher shielding challenges in HiFi…

1 Like

The only thing needed is a stable network connection, nothing demanding with that.
This is due to the nature of the information transported, digital coded audio.
We do not want missing bits and pieces, that sounds so bad.

I’ve used Roon for more than 2 years. I’ve worked from home in IT for more than 10. A network that happily handles 4k video and gaming should be able to handle music streaming fine. All my other music streaming apps agree.

Different experiences here. I have had devialet and NAD phono stages on amps wired up with power lines. No difference. Guess I’m just lucky.

Different hardware and different environment. Powerline networking is firmly YMMV stuff, and it’s nothing to do with audio per se. Your house wiring obviously matters a lot.

1 Like

Yep, house wiring is a major issue. If I use a powerline to connect devices on the same floor in our house, it works. If I try to traverse floors I get a very poor signal between the two devices.

I hesitate to give ideas to the unscrupulous, but if any device merits a Faraday cage add-on :wink:

Edit no doubt I should have googled such a thing…

I think one thing people should factor in is their age.

I strongly belive that some audiophiles should be using compensatory systemwide eq to assist their natural, age related, hearing loss. (I do)

That’s my off topic input.

1 Like

My hearing tops out just above 16kHz these days (Age 50)

That is really good Graeme. I’m pretty good up to 10K, and I fade off fast at 12k. My wife could get to nearly 20K. I sure couldn’t hear it though.

We tested using a 1960s era audio signal generator and a computer speaker.

According to a probably not very accurate online test mine tops out as average for a 50 year old, but that’s only 12.5kHz, so you’re definitely doing well.

Where can one find such tests?

Here’s one…

2 Likes

Here’s one on Tidal:

1 Like

Or here:

Should adopt to language setting

Thanks for sharing those Guys, that was fairly cool in an uncomfortable sort of way, by the time at which I had stopped hearing the noise (just below 1600 on the first YT Classic FM test and somewhere in the mid 1500s on the Tidal test) I had actually had enough…
At 52 I guess the years of Iron Maiden and rock concerts in the front few rows didn’t do as much damage as I thought :wink:

I wouldn’t say it’s great at 16kHz - according to my Sound Level Meter, I can’t hear 16kHz below about 65-70dBA! I’ve been relatively kind to my hearing though - I wear earplugs at concerts and I check my headphone and speaker listening levels regularly. I try to keep them from going above 80 dBA for prolonged periods.

1 Like

Did you do a double blind AB test to prove you aren’t imagining it.

1 Like