Audiophile Switch Experiment Results

Great. Thanks for sharing.
Q & A

As I understand it, they’re measuring noise at the Ethernet port. It’s not surprising that there might be differences depending on the switch hardware, and not very interesting or relevant (to me, at least) unless those differences also appear at the output of a downstream DAC.

1 Like

Never ever trust a review on Alpha Audio. They always change their opinion dependant on advertisers. Years ago they publiced an article stating that USB cables could not and did not make any difference. They tested many and did not hear a difference. Exactly the same thing with switches and other stuff, but once advertisements for USB cables or switches or other stuff showed up they all of a sudden heard lots of differences and wonder oh wonder, the ones from the advertiser always come out best. It’s all advertorials, not unbiased reviews.

Now you are talking. This is where the gains are. I am personally obsessed with speaker placement. In fact a few millimetres can make the difference between an utterly involving system and below par sound quality. My process for a new setup can take up to 6 months. Sadly I have moved house 3 times in the last 3 years, so working hard :blush:

3 Likes

Well, then your speakers must be poorly designed if they need anything extra like moving them millimeters.

(sorry couldn’t resist)

Yea, you are correct. Its the terrible, poorly designed Sonus Faber Stradivari :wink:

1 Like

Touche" hell! I been stabbed!

Sorry to be delayed in answering the recurring questions about what “infinitely variable phenomena” I was referring to earlier (before a short detour to hospital).

MUSIC! The most abstract medium of all. Never the same; etherial performances lasting only as long as the resonance lasts; elusive in meaning; unmistakable in emotional effect!

1 Like

drops popcorn, kernel halfway to mouth

what?? i was really following this thread guys, why take it private? grrr…

2 Likes

Yes, it made a very noticeable improvement on every end point in my home. Even the Google Nest Hubs.

I run Internet Modem > Firewall Router > Renolabs Ultimate Audio Switch with my UnRAID server and TP-Link Deco X60 hanging off the Renolabs.

I found it doesn’t just improve audio, though also image quality on Netflix etc.

I will admit, I haven’t tried an audiophile switch.
Interesting measurements are provided here by ASR.

Difficult to argue with data.

1 Like

You would think so :wink:

7 Likes

Great review.
HiFi companies should hire this measurement guy to pinpoint what is wrong with their “valuable” products. It will significantly change a shopping culture of naive ones including myself. Or maybe it will not.

You really hit the root cause, it is the PSU if you want to check back all of your experiments.

2 Likes

“You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink”. @NOA

But please don’t abandon the horses. Some of us do have open minds, trust me !

I agree.

I’ve just upgraded the stock PSU supplied with my EE 8Switch, and there has been a demonstrable improvement.

3 Likes

I’ve just upgraded the stock PSU supplied with my toaster and there is no improvement. Maybe the wrong PSU or what am I doing wrong?

3 Likes

Seriously? You dropped 500 quid on a switch and the PSU was so noticeably rubbish it needed to be replaced? You would think that for that price they’d include a decent power supply.

8 Likes

White, Wheat or sourdough?

1 Like

Is that a high resolving toaster at all? Else stay in your lane, buddy.

2 Likes