Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M review (384kHz and DSD128 playback out of the box, and at what quality!)

Hello, no normal edition of Aud9028 DAC, is there any hardware difference ? , i though that Kali edition is only for
lower assembly height simply to stuff it into box and use connection bridge between DAC and reclocker…

Hi Vit

thats what we will be probing , the i2s terminations R on the ess9028. We suspect problem is from those.

Hello, so probably there is no solution if it is hardware bug…please when you will have this DAC in your hands let me know if you have the same issues, maybe i have (with other users) only “defective” piece or some “bad series” , i think that Audioph. would not sell this combo (your Kali and their DAC) if there are so clear issues/craclings-pops.
There are some users which dont have this issue while playing PCM (JANIS here… and soem others) it is weird…
Thanks
Vita

I do hope that - should be confirmed that the problem is in the ess9028 - @Audiophonics will stay behind their product. I luckily had no issue so far when playing PCM material, but I am still unable to play DSD files.

Audiophonics is a solid company . We will investigate as soon as we get them and update everyone.

Hi Johan
Any news, did you find any solution or how to reduce these distortions if you have found similar problems on your
tested DAC pieces from Audio. paired with your Reclocker ?

Thanks

Vita

Our DACs works perfectly with Kali

Hello so where could be problem ? If me and some other users have the same problem ? Any advice ? Which OS did you use…any hel would help me , i have still my DAC home, but i tried all settings also switch off wifi if any mutual problem with clock oscilator vs wifi…please advice … thanks Vita
PS: maybe some users has bad series of DAC from Audioph…

Will know more once we receive them and test

I give up…i will send my DAC back, because one user told me that Audioph. team reproduced this issue so they should know more…but still no answer from them only from you…i understand that it is not easy find quickly solution but i think that some users has defect pieces, so after your or Audioph. team of testing “defect” pieces i will talk with Audiop. team what next…thanks Vita…if any news let me know i am curious what problem should it be…

20/10/17 UPDATE:- Resolved :slight_smile: Tried again today with dietpi build 157 and its all working again.
I too have the clicking on the right channel when upsampling and converting to DSD via Roon core server.
I mostly upsample to 384 which gives faultless playback. I dont have any DSD native content to test with.

Oh dear it’s all gone wrong :frowning:
Now I cant get roon to see the Audiophonics board (i sabre K2m) like Janis shows in his screen grab.
I can get sound using the RPI DAC but loose the adjustable volume control.

Can anyone supply an image of their dietpi based OS that are using the audiophonics ES9028Q2M DAC.
I have tried to rebuild an SD card from the diet pi installer but it keeps going wrong.
it may be connected to an update that dietpi ran automatically when I ssh’d into it earlier today.
That will teach me for not having a backup SD card :frowning:

I just built my Dual Xeon media server too and cant wait to get it all working properly.

Please help

Deaks

¿does anyone know how to run the 384 khz or 192 khz using Kodi 15.2 under Raspbian Jessie?

because only displayed on the i-sabre screen 96kHz, while listening to a 384kHz,192 kHz, 176 kHz Flac audio file.
also only the 96kHz led is on under Allo kali reclocker

components:

AUDIOPHONICS DAC I-SABRE ES9028Q2M KALI EDITION
ALLO KALI RECLOCKER I2S FIFO
RASPBERRY PI 3

in the file config i have the line dtoverlay=hifiberry-dac

well, i fixed now. just used the Kernel from DietPi 4.9.52-v7+ http://dietpi.com/downloads/binaries/rpi/dietpi_rpi_kernel_4.9.zip and the i-sabre drive http://dietpi.com/downloads/binaries/rpi/I-Sabre-K2M_binaries.zip from same site.

now works 352.8 Khz on Kodi 15.2 and Debian 8 (jessie) ( or whatever you use )

for check on command the actual info of hardware of dac play

cat /proc/asound/card*/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

command used:

sudo apt-mark hold raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel libraspberrypi-bin
wget http://dietpi.com/downloads/binaries/rpi/dietpi_rpi_kernel_4.9.zip -O package.zip
sudo 7z x -aoa package.zip -o/
rm package.7z

wget http://dietpi.com/downloads/binaries/rpi/I-Sabre-K2M_binaries.zip -O package.zip
sudo unzip -o package.zip -d /
rm package.7z
depmod -a

code added on boot/config.txt

dtoverlay=i-sabre-k2m
dtparam=i2c_arm=on

Hello johan, any updates regarding this cracking issue when playing DSD files?

I think that Audiophonics found the problem, please check with them

Hi,

I don’t think there is any problem.
My set-up is working perfect for 1st day.

Are you using in DietPi the correct driver?
i-sabre-k2m

Janis

I have the same DSD click problem with ES9028Q2M and roon, no problem with pcm. Where should I check with Audiophonics?

Please contact costumer service at audiophonics .

I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of my AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC I-Sabre ES9028Q2M. Will be my first Raspberry Pi based system so there’s a lot to discover and learn…

Hi
Anyone compared sound quality between Audiophonics Es9038eq and Ian Canada similar board?