Audirvana Origin Now Available

Seems pricey to me. What if they re-brand and want us to pay a new price? Local Music Library only without streaming service support or radio makes me want to pass.

1 Like

Itā€™s obviously not made for you (or me). Itā€™s made for people who asked for this exact product and a lifetime license, not a subscription.

1 Like

I think that youā€™re right. May not be made for me. I downloaded the trial and will check it out. The older legacy Audirvana 3.5.50 had streaming service support and it was a lifetime license, not a subscription. I havenā€™t had too much time with it. Sounds good on initial impression.

Iā€™ve just quit my Audirvana Studio subs.

When it comes to sound quality, it beats Roon. But the software itself is buggy as hell.
For when Iā€™m not at home Iā€™ve resorted back to Audirvana 3.5.50.

2 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that we can soon listen to Roon when we are not at home.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to let Audirvana Studio expire at the end of May. I have Audirvana 3.5 as a ā€œfallbackā€ for Roon if Roon ever has a problem.

2 Likes

That would be nice. I have an account with Vox, where I have stored my own collection of local files in their cloud so I can listen to that on my new iPhone SE. Rest Iā€™ll stream through Qobuz.

1 Like

Perhaps the Studio subscription model isnā€™t working out? I also have Audirvana 3.5, and as long as that works, thereā€™s probably no need to shell out another $89 (price for existing customers).

1 Like

Perhaps. But my guess is that itā€™s more a combination of subscription + buggy software.
I mean. Iā€™ve decided to drop both my AS subs, because of recurring bugs.

Android app doesnā€™t recognize any Audirvana server on my network. Which started after my Nokia updated from Android 10 to 11. Now with my brand new iPhone SE the IOS app does work though.
Qobuz just stops playing after awhile. Weird interface bugs. And support is also lacking.

Roon is also subscription based, but it works as it should. No bugs here. Only its sound quality is inferior to Audirvana.

I donā€™t mind paying a subscription. But I do mind that if I have to pay a sub, it has to be for something that works. And for me personally AS, sadly, did not.

Me too , I did the one year sub to give it a fair ā€œtrialā€ complete waste of money never really got it working . It fails on a Cambridge Audio CXN ! Hardly experimental kit.

The new version looks like Studio with streaming chopped out and no MusicBrainz interaction

No interest. JRiver covers my DLNA needs and is rock solid (no pun intended)

3 Likes

I have my Roon core on a QNAP-NAS at home. When I am on the road I access my NAS via VPN and can listen music with Roon. Roon then thinks I am at home. Works perfect.

1 Like

Some may consider this one bug to rule them all!!! :rofl:

1 Like

OH :slight_smile: What love that :slight_smile: How do you do that? I have a QNAP HS-264-8G

Hi Rick

Sorry for my late reply. Had too much to do in the last few weeks.

Here how I did it:

• Activate on your NAS QVPN and setup a VPN server. I use L2TP but any other should work as well.
  • On your router ensure that you have the appropriate ports needed for your VPN forwarded to your NAS. For L2TP these are ports 500, 1701 and 4500.
  • on your mobile, pad or whatever you use when on the road, setup a VPN connection to your NAS using the credential you have defined above on QVPN. With that setup you should be able your home drive on the NAS when login with your user ID and PW.

This obviously works best when you have a stable WLAN connection. Mobile with 4G is fine.

Let me know if it worked for you.

Best, Didier

1 Like

Thanks - Have a nice WE :slight_smile:

I saw a mention of Audirvana somewhere or other on the web. Since there was a month free trial for Audirvana Origin, I gave it a try. I donā€™t use any external streaming services. I was shocked that, on my system, the sound is significantly better than on Roon. For example, many EMI classical recordings have raspy upper midrange and highs on Roon, which I would compensate for with the wonderful equalizer. Not necessary on Origin, with cleaner, airier sound on all recordings. Pop, rock, and jazz, however, being better recordings than most classical, sound wonderful on Roon though. I am enjoying Origin immensely, and am not sure whether I will keep it. I have had no playback problems at this point, reported on the web. Its album/track selection, queue creation and modification are so much clunkier to use than Roon, however. And no full screen graphics or internal opening of album pdf files, though. Origin might not be worth it, ultimately. Or both? A quandary.

1 Like

I bought the Audirvana Origin a few months ago because I loved the sound and was looking for a somewhat ā€œinexpensiveā€ good player; but Iā€™m evaluating Roon now and I gotta say that their UI is definitely much more advanced with metadata and organization. However, I agree with you, for some reason Audirvanaā€™s sound is slightly better, the songs are a bit brighter and the instrument separation is improved, not by much but I can feel it.
Still trying to decide if itā€™s worth sacrifice a bit of sound quality for a whole well done package that is Roon.

Even if it does sound better , the UI is still a mess, not all suited to Classical users . You have to chose between Artists or Composers . To change is a config change very messy, no way (I can find) t save the 2 options.

Audirvana Studio makes an attempt to integrate Tidal but compared to Roon is a mess.

The final blow , V2 was released weeks ago and still no sign of the update remote app to match.

I could have convinced myself there was a SQ difference but having upgraded my Headphone amp that has disappeared

I will stick with Roon

The only thing that interests me is it has a DSP engine but alas it has no Linux version so itā€™s a non starter for me and itā€™s not designed for headless use on a server.

I just got the new Android Remote update for Audirvana. It displays Folders and Subfolders, allowing you do initiate play from them, and is now giving close to full screen displays of album covers. No pdf connectivity yet, though. I still love Roon, though.