Audirvana Studio

From observing internet forum chatter over the past couple of days, it appears roon has nothing to be worried about re Audirvana Studio. Not sure why they were ever even in the same conversation.

1 Like

Which is a very bad news for the users (on both sides).

3 Likes

I have killed the 13GB memory hog that is AS and while I havent found any evidence of tags being modified in my files the software just doesnā€™t come close to what Roon is giving me over the last 5 years.

1 Like

Found some additional information:

And on inspecting and of those changed files directly, and with a non-Audirvana metadata editors, clearly shows the addition of the MUSICBRAINZ_TRACKID tag.

Is it changing the original files?
Unfortunately yes. And thereā€™s currently no way to stop it.

Anyway, I donā€™t like it :frowning:
I would prefer keep my files unchanged.

From Audirvana community:

No data is shared, all we do is analyzing your track to have the Accoustic ID of the track and then with Musicbrainz we are displaying the missing metadata in Audirvana (we are not adding them in your track).

But:

Itā€™s adding something.
Which is a problem ā€¦ as at a minimum itā€™s going to cause every file it touches to have to be re-backed up. On a million-track library thatā€™s a lot of data to push. Especially for the cloud backup step.

Yes, meta-data was added to my music files. Moved my music out of the Music directory, Installed Audrivana. Copied a selection of tracks to test to the Music directory. Went and selected Audio Analysis and let it do its things.

vs

vs

1 Like

Apparently reports of studio modifying peoples files metadata on library scans. Oh dear!!! My time with this pile is done. It sounds odd and not at all natural to me, itā€™s buggy as hell and haa no redeeming features as a music app I would use. Donā€™t really give a hoots about checking if a file is a real hd one or not. Lifeā€™s too short. Not much I can do if Studios peddle them to Qobuz, they get what they are given.

1 Like

Working great. Still undecided if I will pay for it. Maybe $50 for year one.

Exactly - thatā€™s the decision Iā€™ve made. When away from home, streaming Qobuz via Audirvana sounds better than the Qobuz native app, and I can take a small HD with me if I want. More than good enough. But at home, no contest, itā€™s Roon.

1 Like

Uninstalled, good riddance.

5 Likes

If you use Audirvana with UPnP to RPi4, MQA information is not transmitted. So, you need to set your DAC to non-MQA in Audirvana for Audirvana to do the first MQA unfold.

Seems the AS release has a lot of issues/bugs and many users are complaining.

Moving right alongā€¦and back to Roon

1 Like

Never succeeded running a large library with audirvana. Bought 3.5 for its neat integration of vst3 plugins. Could not use it though, cause it never finished loading my my library.

1 Like

After trying AS for a day, then obliterating everything AS from my computer as it was excruciatingly slow, I did notice that anything hi res now had [HD] after the title, thousands of titles were changed, and multidisciplinary sets were ripped asunder. It took me 2-3 hours to put the 35 disc set ā€œJohn Mayall: The First Generation 1965-1974ā€ back together. So, yeah, AS changed stuff. Maybe not the metadata, but changes just as bad. In all fairness to AS, the slowness may solely be in the size of my local library, 300k tracks. It might be zippy for someone with only 20-30k. Donā€™t know.

2 Likes

What size is your library, and how much local?

Iā€™ve seen the final unfold with RPi4 into audioquest and ifi (renderer) DACs when using Volumio or DietPi. I think that a Meridian DAC will do the complete decode.

I will double-check when I have the time.

Basically zero. That is one reason both Roon and Audirvana work so well for me.

Is there an update for the remote available? The one for version 3.5 does not work with Audirvana Studio. Annoying!

Not yet. Itā€™s coming.

Hopefully soon!

Makes perfect sense.

Iā€™m sorry, I misspoke. My library is 2273, 1/2 Tidal and 1/2 Qobuz, 5 albums locally.