Audirvana Studio

JRiver has a Versions Model where every year they release a new Version , but in reality its the old version with a few added features re numbered . There product is forever evolving almost on a weekly/monthly basis, its on build 85 from last July ! Different development methodologies.

For existing users it costs $20 , hardly breaks the bank . That said its an annual “subscription” for want of a better name.

Their development processes mean a short sharp series of new features , they are very agile to customer requests if they are small enough to just do . Their audio set up is so mature it hardly ever changes , most additions are to the video side of the system.

Noted. When you say choose between SQ and interface you’re assuming user experience is just like it is right now. They have said it will be much better.

They said local and streaming library will be more combined than it is now (completely seperate right now) and will link to artist’s futher discog.

How much better than now? We’ll have to test it out once it’s out.

1 Like

Cool, thanks for your reply.
I have used Audirvana extensively and Roon.

In my system, Audirvana failed the RME ADI 2 bit perfect test, on wav 24 bit depths.
Others noted the same experience. Flac’s would pass the test, no issues which was interesting.

I think its fair to say, streaming is here for good. Jriver might need to change with the times.

This is really strange. Did you contact Audirvana with these findings?

Yes, Others had the same experience.

Damien couldn’t debug without a RME ADI 2 dac.
Roon passed all tests, so did Foobar, Jriver etc.

1 Like

I use Audirvana for High Res Audio (the small german service) streaming to a MolaMola Tambaqui DAC. Here it is bit perfect.
Hope you test Audirvana Studio. Let us know your findings.

Does the Mola Mola provide a bit test function? How would you know otherwise?

RME provides custom bit wav tests, which the Dac uses to confirm signal integrity.
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/bit_test_wavs.zip

The Dac’s LCD provides messaging whether the signal passes or fails.
Using Audirvana, the dac reported bit perfect fail on 24bit depth.
When I converted the files to flac it passed.

All other software used passed, at 16 and 24bit, regardless of whether the file was in wav or flac format.

1 Like

I get bit perfect when I stream via the HighRes PC/Mac App. I will check today what goes on with the Audirvana app.
Thanks for leting me know. Cool finding.

The Audirvana app provides the DACs bit depth, I.e. The RME is shown as 32bit.
This tells you nothing of the signals bit depth, or whether the signal is indeed bit perfect.
If you are streaming a flac container, you should be fine.

This is why having a DAC which provides a bit perfect test is so valuable. Pro hardware thinking.

I just contacted MolaMola. I have a need to verify that.

I think you might be a little confused.
Your DAC is most definitely bit perfect.
What I am describing is a bit perfect signal observation (using Wav, and the RME bit test) with Audirvana.

I want to know if Audirvana sends a bit perfect stream to Tamabaqui or any other DAC.
I would like to know how this can be tested, besides from RME.
I am just curious.
Maybe there is a bug in the RME detection?

1 Like

I got the Mac version fairly early but dumped them after a while as I got fed up that they were only including fixes in new releases under the guise of ‘added features’ which forced you to buy a new licence each time.

No issue for me… my ADI-2 FS DAC passed 24-bit test with Roon, Audirvana and HQPlayer.

Funnily enough the 32-bit test file only passed on the one program not even intended for bit perfect playback - HQPlayer… it was a lot of effort to turn off all DSP in HQPlayer for this test. But Roon and Audirvana failed the 32-bit test.

I’m curious about this. Unless I missed something, my understanding is that they will let you include local and streaming tracks in the same playlist and that’s the new feature.

Anyway, I’m not expecting much. I’ve never had much luck with Audirvana on Windows. Starting with the broken download link on their website the last time I tried it.

I never really noticed that I have been using JRiver since V15 , now at V28 , its been my video server all that time and before I started actively using Roon my Audio server.

It may be a bit old school but its stable as anything , I can’t remember when I had an issue with it in all these years.

I don’t use any of the fancy video bits just a staightforward DLNA server

Awesome, the observation was back in Aug 2020.
Maybe the software has been patched.
Are you using Windows or Mac? Mac seemed ok at the time.

macOS and tested earlier this year.

Yes, Mac users didn’t report the issue.
The issue seemed isolated to Win users.
Its in the thread.

For me Roon passes all tests with flying colours running from Ropieee and the wavs they supply.