Audirvana vs. Roon

hi!
sorry for my bad English!
classifying music Roon don’t have comparison but…
in my opinion, using Teac nt 505 the sound quality it’s more than better Audirvana for especially DSDs
Audirvana know the device and get all possibilities, Roon only DSD -> DoP and others, and simply, all family knows the same, Audirvana it’s so better, and this is the question, why?
Roon people, please,… change system for this fantastic DAC

For me,

Audirvana pros

• Cheaper, way cheaper.
  • Less buggy : in Roon music stops every 25 secondes when I use my Mac mini with Roon (i5, 8go, SSD - Late 2012 model). It’s useable.
    On my other computer, it works well…Even if sometime it just loose connection with my amp and I have to unplug and reboot the amp to get it work again (it’s a Roon ready amp).
  • Roon’s interface is way prettier but it’s confusing sometimes.
  • Sound quality : I don’t explain it and I even didn’t know that a software could have an incidence on sound quality but it did. For vocal jazz at least (I listened only three albums of Diana Krall’s), the sound is crispier, warmer and simply more enjoyable with Audirvana.

Roon pros

• The interface
  • The possibly to use it with multiple cores.
  • The ability to easily set a multi-room system.
  • The editorial work.
  • It’s prettier (again, it’s way much prettier)
  • It’s easier to customize metadata

So for me, it’s great that the two software exists but I can’t say that Roon is clearly better. If Roon wants to be on top, two parameters should be revisited : the price and the sound quality.

7 Likes

Tried Audirvana but was immediately turned off by the user-interface especially how albums and songs are sorted. For that reason alone, IMO, makes Roon worth the higher price

3 Likes

Your hardware might be stretched. What kind of network do you have? Most dropouts are relative to a weak network, not the program.

I use Roon, Audirvana, and JRiver, as well as Bryston MPD.

1 Like

I don’t think the network is the issue, because I am wirelessly connected to the same network with my other machine (IMac) and it works fine.

1 Like

I think I found the issue. The Mac Mini 2012, at least mine, seems to have a serious wifi dropping. I tried to clean the Wifi files…etc., but it didn’t work.
The only way that seems to make it fully functional is to plug it to the router with an Ethernet cable.
Hope it will help other persons.

This article has some good info in it. You definitely want your Core hard wired.

1 Like

Audirvana has great 3 buttons to click on, including close y minimize.

I am not a Tidal user so I can’t really evaluate it. But Qobuz is great, a lot of Hi-Res albums (according to reviews I saw some months ago it seems having a larger Hi-Res catalog than Tidal). I listen to classical / jazz and I think Qobuz is great for that. The editorial work is great too.

3 Likes

I have used Audirvana over the last months and finally checked out Roon a few days ago. Before that I was using Foobar2000 for about nine years.

Let me be frank: The lifetime license for Roon is easily worth it. My life is probably prolonged for several years when I don’t have to use Audirvana anymore because it just drives me mad. I bought it, I really wanted to like it, but…

What I will not miss of Audirvana (Windows version):

• the craptastic UI design (for example counterintuitive navigation between library and album view)
  • an UI full of bugs where some most basic things are not possible
  • whole UI is slow and sometimes even taking a break when the player waits for something
  • I read a lot in the forums. several asked for and easily realizable feature requests are not implemented (like sorting albums in the library by year - one has to ask for that?)
  • buggy UPnP implementation (and not admitting it and blaming others. Maybe I am a bit unfair here, but that’s how I see it)
  • still no last.fm scrobbling support

Concerning the sound quality I am pretty sure it’s a myth. Bitperfect playback sounds the same - if everything else in the chain is the same.

Besides confirmation bias I can imagine that in some instances there are differences in sound quality. But then it’s something like not bypassing the windows mixer in Roon which is just not possible in Audirvana. Users might not be aware of that and in this case Audirvana will definitely sound better with the same hardware. As soon as you use WASAPI, UPnP renderer or Roon endpoint there’s no difference in sound.

I don’t know how much running Roon on just on one computer hurts sound quality, maybe this has to be counted in as well as a source for compromised sound quality. But since this is officially not recommended, it doesn’t count, I think.

To make this post complete, there’s also a big advantage of Audirvana:

What I will miss is the easy use of VST plugins that I need for room correction. I have to switch my well established system for room correction now and all alternatives that work with Roon are unfortunately not as user friendly like Sonarworks and Dirac.

2 Likes

This is the primary reason why I stop using Audirvana, it is really a show stopper for me.

1 Like

This!

I really like RoPieee (XL). When it stopped working with Audirvana about a week ago and hours went into troubleshooting it was time to check out Roon and it was really a relieving experience for me the first day I used it.

1 Like

Get yourself a big 'ole bucket of popcorn and post the above in Audiophile Style.

5 Likes

Well, there are people who believe that 1.8 sounds better than 1.7…

Since most people can’t compare side by side I am pretty sure it’s expectation bias.

3 Likes

Hi Ladies & Gent’s,
sorry but I don’t believe that some of you are really rating the sound of Audirvana as equal as the SQ of Roon.
I’m honest, I don’t take care about the UI of any Musicplayer, the job of the MP is to sound as good as possible and to play all audio formats I have, that’s it.
And Audirvana (can only talk about OS Version) for me sounds better than Roon 1.7 (I haven’t listen to the 1.8 Release today).
I just mentioned in another thread that I’m new with Roon, but not with Audirvana in the OS World. I’m using it now since 6 Years (with Tidal Hifi and the last 3 month Qobuz Studio in addition) and the SQ is super compared to all other musicplayers I have tested on the Mac in 8 Years (Roon included).
The adventage of Roon isn’t the SQ, it’s the issue that I don’t need to run the mac all time, I can play it from the iPhone to the Roon End Amp, without anything else. All the other features are nice to have (showing the songtext, etc.) and not far away to the normal Qobuz/Tidal features. And the issue that I can use Roon in the same way in my second Music Room and on the Desktop PC in my Home office, because my Roon Core is installed on my NAS, is superb.
Therefore from now on I will live with both, Roon because it’s more comfortable (see above), but I will also stay to Audirvana when I want to listen to ‘audiophile’ Records (as I still have all my CD’s and LP’s and the Players for it, even when they are all digitalized and stored on the NAS).
Regards
Thomas

4 Likes

Hi Jim, are you talking with me?

If that’s the Case, than you should read my post.
My Roon Core is on my NAS and my iPhone as Roon Control device is linked to the Roon Core on the NAS.
And this Roon Core on the NAS sends the audiofile to the Amp.
Regards
Thomas

Hi Jim,

sorry, I very much apologized for my post to you.
You’re right, there could be a misunderstanding.
I have written
I can play it from the iPhone to the Roon End Amp, without anything else
That means no other Audio Device, or no additional PC is running, but naturally the NAS is running 7/24.
Therefore my Roon Core is also running 7/24.
Regards
Thomas

1 Like

after all this drama with 1.8 I was like… frustrated… Audirvana is SO basic… Roon so much drama and slow development… WHY can’t footbar2000 be the same for Mac and windows… for sure I would stick to foobar if it was for Mac what it is for windows…

Please do not use Roon, there are many ways to find an album and play.

UPnP user here as well.

Foobar2000 would work but concerning UPnP I find it too complicated (several clicks necessary each time to set it up). I still have it installed for other duties that it’s better at than Audirvana and Roon, though.

Audirvana’s UPnP implementation does not work with every other UPnP implementation. RoPieeeXL and MoOde don’t work at the moment, for example. I had to switch to DietPi Allo Edition.

Roon just works with Ropieee or DietPi Allo.

1 Like