Audirvana vs. Roon

Hi Thomas,

ok, maybe. What’s your audio rig with which you can hear the differences? Seriously interested.

Hi Econaut,
Sorry for the late response,
I answered on the 11.02. but the answer was blocked however.
Here is is the complete message again.

'Hello econaut,

sorry I don’t know your first name.

You want to know my audio equipment when I’m using Roon?

My Roon endpoint is a Devialet Expert 440 and my Speakers are Piega Coax 120.2

But I’m not shure if you need a so called ‘High End’ equipment to here differences, whatever that should be.

And can you tell me what’s your equipment is, with which you are listening, also without Roon.

By the way, today I listened first time to Roon 1.8, the installation yesterday wasn’t a problem, only today Roon is asking me the first time for a Name of my Roon Endpoint Device when I want to start it. And which I couldn’t remember that Roon is asking me when I was starting with Roon.

And I played Roger Waters ‘Amused To Death’ in 192 24 from Qobuz (Tidal hasn’t a HR MQA File from this Album).

And however I’m a Fan of this Record, and I have nearly all Formats of it, include the Bluray for MC.

And I have bought some years ago from Highresaudio (a German HiRes Streaming Company comparable with 2L) also the 192 24 Album in FLAC.

The first Time I was positive surprised from Roon. There seems to be all the details and the dynamic which I knew from my own Album.

A short comparison in Roon with the HR Album from my bibliothek and the Qobuz HR sounds nearly equal (it’s difficult as always, because the output level is not the same) and I must adjust the volume a little bit, but there was also for my ears not a difference and at first I couldn’t believe it.

But I haven’t the time to do the comparison for a lot of song, I tested it only with sections of song 8 (To Much Rope) and song 13 (It’s A Miracle (Bass Drum from 06:10 onwards is turning the phase and a lot of amps/speakers have problem with that to play a tight signal).

But I will stick to it and I will compare more albums and of course with Audirvana, which I haven’t done yet.

But after this I tought, may be there is a improvement in the SQ of Roon what some people also have mentioned in the post, even it’s always not realy possible to compare something only with the memory.

But we will see it in the future but I will stay to 1.8

Regards Thomas

Hi Thomas,

thanks for answering. I guess with that equipment and when you took care of room acoustics I can imagine that one can hear a difference if there was any.

Still, in this particular case level matching with a dB meter is imperative and I also like to point out the “perfidiousness” of expectation bias which works in all kinds of seemingly “strange” ways. Additionally, if either signal path is different except for the player (Audirvana vs. Roon), the comparison is flawed.

By the way, I am no audio objectivist by any means but when comparing bitperfect audio software the threshold is just too small.

This said, I’ll be honest: I won’t even start to try to hear a difference between the two, because I am convinced there can’t be any. And even if there was, it would be so small that functionality is paramount (for me). Also other issues such as room acoustics will have a much bigger impact on sound and this is exactly what I am doing right now, optimizing that stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve always found that Audirvana sounds better than Roon, Jriver, Volumio etc

If Audirvana had internet radio I’d be seriously considering ditching Roon.

Although the thing I like about Roon is you can go off on so many musical tangents with the artist info and similar albums etc.

1 Like

UPNP is a perfectly good transport mechanism , I really get fed up seeing comments like this.

It depends on the hardware/software/firmware implementation. There are many implementations, not all bad, yes some may be. There is an enormous number of hifi components using uPNP , some of the highest quality kit available

I have used JRiver for 9 years without a single hitch, I use a Cambridge Audio CXN uPNP renderer streamer.

It’s different to RAAT but not necessarily inferior, and flakey in my case it is NOT

I had Audirvana for a couple of years before I got Roon. Think it’s far and away the runner up to Roon amongst the competition. Think the sound is slightly more in your face than Roon is, overall I like Audirvana.

2 Likes

To me audirvana sounds much better on abyss 1266 TC than Roon

I have Audirvana too and MC.

However, I cannot use either because it will only play thru my MBPro.

I use ethernet via a microRendu. Neither Audirvana or MC will even see it.

I am sure there is a simple fix for someone with more knowhow than I.

I recall when my Audio guys here setting something up, that I was surprised to here music when I did not have it plugged in but it was pointed out to me that as I had the OPPO 205 also plugged with an ethernet cable, it was using that as a UnUp (?) .

So what do I have to do to hear what Audirvana sounds like now?

kindest regards

I use Audirvana on my Dell XPS 15 laptop to stream Tidal and Qobuz to my Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. I plug my Dragonfly Cobalt into the Dell USB port using a short cable (so as not to break off the Dragonfly or USB port). I have a bunch of Verizon hotspot data on my iPhone and iPad that I use when there is no internet WIFI available.

At home, Audirvana will find my RPi4 and Meridian Prime Headphone Amplifier, but I always use Roon at home. I think Audirvana will also find my Bose Soundtouch 300, but I don’t fool with it, having Roon.

2 Likes

I too enjoy Audirvana over Roon as far as sound quality goes. And also seamless VST3 support! So awesome
I do wish they had Radio or some sort of similar track recommendations

1 Like

Audirvana can play to the Rendu’s

In sonicOrbiter OS you need to switch mode to UPnP (change from Roon Ready or HQP NAA mode if you’re in one of those)

1 Like

Thank you kindly. I also found it worked if I pluugged an ethernet cable intpo the SOPPO. I HAD READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE 205 WORKD AS A UPNP)

1 Like

Good stuff

Thank you kindly. only just read this. Life is tough right now, having collapsed teeth removed 3 at a time as I can’t have a general un less absolutely necessary, so it’s 3 at a time and it has proved difficult. 3 infections out of 5 lots oif extractions, this time being the worst. No breathing machine at nkight as it is too painful and mask has tendency to fill with blood. Long winded way of sying I am just not fit enough to keep up with my computer life. I also am not really listening either as I find this type of pain is too distracting so am watching TV instead, archaeological mysteries, and other such things, physics, anything that engrosses all of me an d switches my pain button off.

I will at some point give this a go.

Pain management can be brutal to get through but you’ll get through it.

Hopefully a couple weeks from now you’ll be well past the worst of the pain.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Momentan ist das Beste im Sound Roon und HQPlayer. Ich habe auch lange Audirvana gehört. Ich bin auch dem Hype aufgesessen Oberfläche schlecht aber der Sound ist gut!! Das stimmt nicht , Roon mit HQplayer ist um einiges besser

Hello Hanno,

I think this forum’s language is english. I hope you understand, because I have a question to you:

Do you use HQPlayer with or without upsampling?

I have been a very long term Audirvava user, and had two Roon trials. Both of them came up with the very same result. Audirvana was better in terms of sound quality, hands down!

Setup iMac->Curious USB Cable->Mutec MC-3 + USB

The biggest part I was missing in Audirvana was browsing through music and exploring new routes or simply just getting surprised by hidden gems.

So I gave Roon a bit more focus on its intended use. Running Roon of Rock with a very nice well speced passive cooled Nuc and a Lumin U1. Comparing the two, no contest Roon wins!

If I stream both directly against the U1 with their different protocols it is becoming very close, sound wise Roon still having my preference. So for me it boils down to a very simple formula.

Audirvana: Simple single room setup with modest cost. If you know what you are looking for in terms of music, you can’t go wrong.

Roon: More complexity and cost, but multi room / multi source. Experiencing music at it’s best with no compromise in sound quality.

4 Likes

Are you using any DSP plug ins with Audirvana? @Miller

No, I am not a big fan of using any kind of plugins. The only thing I do is upsampling 16/44. Currently 90% of my listening is HighRes anyway.

1 Like