Auto play highest quality track available in radio

It would be amazing if Roon could automatically play the highest quality track available (Tidal MQA or Qobuz) in Roon radio. I don’t believe there is a way to do this now… If there is please let em know.

4 Likes

The problem is to define what the highest quality is. Different people have different opions on this topic.
I personally don’t want Roon radio to play any Tidal MQA files.

That is indeed the problem, I would always wish Roon to select an MQA track if available above anything else.

Agreed. I would like to see Roon let the user configure some sort of choice hierarchy.

Also goes for compilations. Often times I have a 24/192 good master of an album and yet Roon Radio will choose the same track from a 16/44 “best of.” I’d like to see Roon figure that out and play the 24/192 version. Of course this requires Roon to recognize and discard live or remixed versions and such if it was going to play the straight up track.

2 Likes

+1 for user control. I have a DAC that gets “confused” with changes in bit depth and rate-
skipping up to 90 tracks when these changes occur. Consequently, automatic default “Best Track” will exacerbate the problem.

With that DAC, might it be better to configure Roon to DSP every file into the same bit depth and sampling rate? Then you could also use crossfade without all the glitches that crossfade usually creates (in my experience).

I do use DSP to resample and limit bit depth when using radio. I remove those settings if listening to full albums in one session. Hoping that the resample/limits usage is not required long term, but time will tell.

What would be great would be DSP profiles that can be quickly selected, or even configured directly into a given use profile - i.e. only apply the DSP in shuffle/radio but not album play. But guaranteed to confuse some…

+1 yesterday roon radio played an mp3 version of a local file while a 24/96 version was available in Qobuz.

It would be great if we could set our preferences. Something like, always play highest quality and then rank sources (Qobuz, LAN, Tidal, Spotify, etc.) in order of where we think the best version would live.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.