Backing up at wrong time

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 1.7 Build 511 Macbook Pro 2017 3.1 dual core i5 8GB RAM 512GB SSD MacOS Catalina 10.15.2

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit Ethernet, wired. Internet service 450mbps down, 25 mbps up
Archer A20/AC 4000 router, house wired for Cat5e

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not relevant here but I stream exclusively to a Bluesound Node 2i over wired. It is the only thing I use Roon with.

The issue…

I have Roon backups set for 2AM daily. Roon is running on my Mac but I’m not playing any music. It’s 11:26AM here and the backup has been going on for several minutes, really spiking my CPU because it’s backing and syncing to dropbox.

I haven’t listened to any music since last night at about 10. Roon was running at 2AM so no idea why it is waiting until now to start the backup or if what it’s really been doing is backing up for 9 straight hours

?

Hi @Doug_Hannah,

Can you please share a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Backups tab?
Do you control the Macbook Pro from any other Roon Remotes/Clients or just from the Core Roon app?

1 Like

Is your MAC sleeping - maybe while you are?

1 Like

sorry for the delayed reply, and thank you for jumping in.

Here you go

I mainly control the MBP from my iPad Pro but the instance that prompted me to post was noted when I was working on the MacBook Pro and not using Roon. I was doing other work and noticed because Roon was backing up, causing Dropbox to kick in and spike the CPU usage quite a bit.

Thanks. No, I have all sleep functions disabled, except for the screen. This machine stays on most of the time.

Hi @Doug_Hannah,

Can you check to see if you have the correct time/timezone on your Macbook Pro and iPad set up?

1 Like

Thanks again for responding. Yes the time zone is correct on both my computer and my iPad. Not sure what’s going on but I reckon I’ll just need to work around it.

I really just need to switch Roon over to a dedicated server. It runs great on my MacBook Pro but that is a machine on which I do audio work and I can’t have the CPU spiking up like it did, or change the backup location away from the resource-hog known as Dropbox.

I will just have to remember to quit Roon when I’m working and then fire it back up when I’m listening to music until I get ROCK going.

Thanks again.

Hi @Doug_Hannah,

How large are your backups? It is possible that Dropbox didn’t finish uploading the backup yet, I would check to make sure that you have set an upload speed of unlimited in Dropbox if you wish to keep using it as your primary backup method:

1 Like

It’s 2.9GB. It definitely wouldn’t take 9 hours to upload. I don’t have Dropbox throttled at all.

Really not sure what the deal is.

Hi @Doug_Hannah,

I’ve activated diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis. It does look like the backup was still ongoing even though it started the night before.

Dropbox is fairly slow at transferring files from what I’ve seen, so you may want to try using USB storage to host the backups or send it to a NAS/PC and have that sync to Dropbox instead.

1 Like

Thanks! I appreciate the help. I will move the backups to a local location. I manually started a backup tonight and it wrapped it up in about 20 minutes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.