Backing up internal storage to Synology NAS

So, I have all my music on internal storage. I have internal storage visible as Remote Folder on my NAS. Now I want to set up way to backup these files to my Synology NAS, automatically if possible. I’ve always been stumped when it comes to Synology backup solutions. Any advice?

To be clear, do you want to use Synology NAS as the backup destination for your music stored on PC or Music server? If so, I’d think you’d want to look at the client that stores the files.

If you use a Mac, you can use Synology as a time machine backup destination, however I believe this service can conflict with other services on Synology - sorry for being vague, but I don’t use time machine.

If you want to back up ROCK music files to NAS, I’m not aware of any native mechanism to do that from the NAS itself, but it is a Linux based OS, so someone with better knowledge of Linux might have a suggestion. Initiating the backup from ROCK is probably a non-starter given it’s very narrowly defined mission.

If you’re looking for a solution to back up the NAS itself, Amazon Drive now presents a very user friendly unlimited storage option (much more so than Glacier ever was). I believe upload speeds are throttled by Amazon which is why the initial uploads will need to be planned and will take a while.

Time Machine backups can go to NAS. Synology DSM should tell you how.

Under Windows I use GoodSync to back up to NAS.

For offsite, I used to use S3, but Amazon cloud is much cheaper.

I think OP is just saying they want to automatically copy/backup files from one directory (the remotely mounted ROCK storage) to another (the Synology storage).

Right?

I might just use rsync, but on synology, there must be easier GUI solutions for this.

I have my music stored on NUC (running ROCK) internal 2TB drive. I would like to backup these files to my NAS. I wondered if there was a Time Machine type program for Synology that would run scheduled backups. Ideally I would love to see an option in Roon that allows me to back up music files to NAS like it does for system backups @danny

@guerph I use Carbon Copy Cloner on a headless Mac Mini to do this. It is not ideal bandwidth wise since it uses three different points on the network, ROCK for source, Mac for the backup program, and NAS for destination. I run it every two days at 2:30 a.m. First backup will take many hours, for me, over 18 for 1 TB. After that each backup takes about 30 minutes.

I’d rather have a backup option from ROCK or from the Synology directly.

the synology should have a way to backup a remote pc over a share… ROCK would be no different than your mac in this case.

I’ve been thinking about this config - internal storage kept in sync with the NAS (terminology may be wrong, I mean I want the same files on both machines). Rather than have the internal storage as the master the Synology can keep a file on a remote PC in synch with the file on the synology. So basically same result, just having the NAS as the master.

I can’t remember the name of the Synology software that does this but it’s definitely possible in theory. How it works in practise I have no idea. Seriously interested in it though as I’m running out of roon on the Synology and reconfiguring Roon to run off internal (or directly connected) storage would be a lot cheaper in terms of new disks.

Anyone doing this or got experience of it? The Synology s/w works on all platforms I believe.

There’s a few options here:

https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?t=128873

Cloudstation is a dropbox replacement. Active Backup works with Synology’s newer models. Older models don’t have this option, amazingly.

Yeah. Unfortunately this is only available on their newer models. Kinda crazy.

This is also what I want to do. I keep my music library on my NAS, but I’d like to keep it synced to my ROCK servers, so they can run independent of the NAS availability. It’s not a back-up function, just a replication function, and I want replicate from the NAS to the ROCK. Having rsync run on the ROCK would be the best option, but next best would be a solution that runs on Synology that can sync specified directories to a shared CIFS network folder. Has anyone come across this sort of solution? Other options I’m not interested in pursuing involve another computer that can sync between network connections to the Synology and ROCK.

1 Like

Anybody figured out how to do this?

@RBM @danny if I try to add the internal storage as a CIFS share, DSM (on a DS1517+) presents an error that it cannot connect to the external folder and that I have to check wether the external folder is accessible through the CIFS-protocol.

The Active Backup for Server package lets you backup the share over SMB within the package itself. Define a ‘Windows Backup’ task and off you go.

1 Like

Thanks Rene for the super speedy reply. I will give it a go!

EDIT*

@RBM the Active Backup Server is asking for an account and password, what information do I need to specify here?

guest/guest will do.

Sweet it works, many thanks!

1 Like

I stumbled across a very elegant solution for this. Install WebDAV and Cloud Sync on the NAS.
Set up a sync job where the “cloud” is WebDAV with location “localhost:5005”. Works brilliantly, with real-time syncing. Delighted.

3 Likes

I know this is an old post, but this is an awesome solution. Thanks for sharing. Works beautifully.

You’re welcome. I found though that this method does not mirror datetime file info in the way that rsync does, but happy if this is working for you.

1 Like

Would love to use rsync, but can’t seem to figure out how to do that through ROCK. Do you have a workaround?