Backup Failed Cannot Find The Backup Directory

Roon Core Machine

Grimm Audio MU1 with Intel nuc i3, roon core is on this machine
PC Windows 11

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear Nighthawk cable router, Synergistic Research switch, Wired Connection

Connected Audio Devices

Denefrips Terminator Plus
External stroage tried: two different Lexar thumb drives 16GB, one Western digital 500GB SSD

Number of Tracks in Library

About 15000

Description of Issue

Backup Failed Cannot Find The Backup Directory

I am having a trouble with backing up to a USB drive. I have had success backing up to Drop box. I have tried multiple thumb drives and most recently a brand new Western Digital SSD. External drives have been formatted NTFS.

When given the list of folders to back up to, I can see the external drive in the list. I choose the drive (select this folder), the folder is “Empty,” then I choose Manual Backup. I receive the following message:
Backup failed at 5:46:38 / Cannnot find the backup directory

On my attached windows computer, I can see the Grimm Audio MU1 on my network, and I can drill down to see both my music folder and the roondata folder. I do not see any additional storage (USB hard drive).

I have read some of the other similar topics, but in my situation, I have a pristine new USB drive, not on a NAS, Not associated with a Mac

Thanks for your help,

Dan

The ROCK documentation specifically recommends against using it for external disks that are connected to ROCK. (https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/rock-storage-basics#USB_Storage_-_Best_Practice 1)

There may have been cases where NTFS file systems developed an error although they were not connected to Windows and unsafely removed:

I reformatted the 500GB drive to exFAT, and I ran CHKDSK and found the file fine. On reinserting into my MU1 I have the same problem.

OK all, I have gone back to the MU1 manual. The USB cannot be used as a backup drive as USB is read only:

This general purpose connector may be used for connecting an external USB
drive (flash drive, SSD or HDD) for extending the disk space of the MU1 system. You may play
music files from this drive. The MU1 supports the following file systems: FAT32, NTFS, HFS+,
exFAT, EXT2 and EXT4. When a USB device is plugged in, it will automatically be mounted in
the system. Since USB drives are mounted in ‘read only mode’, it is not necessary to ‘safely
remove’ the USB device from the system, the device is unmounted automatically when you
unplug it. This also means you cannot use a USB drive to make Roon backups nor add or
delete music from these disks through Roon or the network.

This thread can be closed.

1 Like

When all else fails, read the manual. I’ve been there. :slightly_smiling_face: