Backup failed - Error backing up to database

Roon Core Machine

(Model, CPU, RAM) →

Windows 11 PC, i7-9700K, 32GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus GT-AC5300 router, D-Link DGS-105 switch, all Ethernet; QNAP TS-130 NAS (via the switch); core machine connects direct to router

Connected Audio Devices

Ruark MR1 via optical from another Windows 11 PC (connected to router)

Number of Tracks in Library

6,000 tracks

Description of Issue

When I try to backup in Roon, either backup now or scheduled, to my Qnap TS-130, the backup appears to start. It then fails after transferring has reached anywhere between 0 and 24%. The NAS event log doesn’t show anything, but the NAS online users log shows an SMB connection from the time I chose the folder to connect to in Roon backup. Notably, the connection continues, even if I close Roon on the Core machine, until I shut down or reboot the Core machine. That suggests that whatever problem exists may be causing the Core machine and the NAS to hang on to each other. I suspect it may be the NAS, as I also have a QNAP TS-451+, which takes Roon backups without a hitch. I simply want to have a second Roon backup on my TS-130.

Hey @Chris_Laughton,

We’re so sorry it took us this long to see and reply to this thread. Please, accept our apologies :pleading_face:

I was wondering if, since the initial post things have changed? We have released a new build for QNAP Cores. Is yours updated?

Hi Rebeka

No, the problem persists. I have build 831, and Roon shows “You have the latest version installed”.

Hey @Chris_Laughton,

Thanks so much for getting back to me :pray:

Would you be able, just as a test, to try a Roon backup on a different location than the NAS? Does that complete?

Hi Rebeka

Yes, I can back up to other locations, just not to the TS-130.