Backup onto USB HDD attached directly to NAS Fails

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, i7, build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Cat6 Ethernet. Core, Terramaster F5-421 NAS, SOtM SMS-200 Neo, all attached to Netgear GS108 switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Network attached SOtM SMS-200 Neo endpoint. USB out to Eximus DP1 DAC

Description Of Issue

@support, my music files are stored on the Terramaster NAS. It has 2x USB 3.0 ports. I am trying to backup the roon library on to an external Seagate HDD attached to either one of the NAS USB ports (outcome is the same which ever one I try). The NAS attached USB drive exposes as a ‘public’ SMB drive in windows and I can set up a storage location as normal for a roon DB backup.

However, when I try to backup I get an error “Backup directory not available”. I notice that on the USB drive roon is able to make a RoonBackups directory and then a directory with a long hexadecimal string as it normally does with any other location. However with the USB drive attached directly to the NAS, backup just stops and fails at this point.

If I disconnect the USB drive from the NAS and attach it directly to the core, then backup proceeds normally. It is slow though, presumably because of the network traffic and I was hoping it would be quicker, simpler and easier to manage by having a USB drive attached directly to the NAS.

Any ideas?

Maybe a timing problem as to when the NAS spins up the drive and Roon being impatient about it?

Hi @Tony_Casey,

Can you try to make a backup to this drive once more and make a note of the time that it fails? We’ll enable diagnostics and take a look with our QA team to see if we can identify why this might be failing.

Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for taking a look at this. I attempted a forced backup at 10.58 (UTC +1.0, Copenhagen, Denmark time) on 28th September 2020. I got the following error message:

Thanks, @Tony_Casey.

I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. We’ll follow up once we’ve reviewed the report with our team.

Ok. Thanks @dylan. I just tried another backup to the NAS attached USB drive at 3.45 am, 29th Sep. 2020.

I notice that I have several other backup jobs scheduled to different destinations which failed as well but you do not need to worry about those. Those were just because I was playing some music at the time.

Hi @Tony_Casey,

Can I please ask that you use these instructions to send a log set from your Core machine over to us? If you have any issues accessing the logs, just let us know, thanks!