Backup restore failed

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 pro Core server 1.7 (build 571) stable (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet network isn’t a concern.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not a concern.

Description Of Issue

I have been using Roon on a windows 10 install for several years.
With a +5k albums Library, the playlists and favorites I have been creating over the years is extremely valuable to me.

I recently decided to move all media serving (namely plex and roon) into a dedicated server instead of my main workstation.

I copied the files on the new server using the same disk letter and library path.
I created and copied Roon backups from the original install to the new server. (backup folder is 7GB and holds 2 backups)
I Installed Roon core on the new server.
I made a fresh windows installation on the workstation and installed Roon.
When trying to restore the backup the backup procedure starts and promptly stops at 1% with the error:

Restore Failed. Please check your backup folder and try again.

I had picked a new name for the core and being different than the name of the roon backup, I decided to rename the core with the previous identical name.

Unfortunately the backup still fails.

Can you advice a procedure to restore the favorites and playlist in any way from the backups ?

thank you

This may be the issue.

Try leaving the Backups in their original location , and use Settings/Backups/Find Backups to locate them over the network (you may need to share the Backups folder over the network from the original Windows 10 PC), and try restoring them that way.

It’s always wise to have have more than one backup location, and also to make at least one of them to a removable media like USB HDD drive, this will be easier to restore from.

@Geoff_Coupe Thanks for the reply, I Tried that, but it didn’t work either. It’s worth noting that the backup path stayed identical too.
@wizardofoz I do actually have 3 copies of the backups in 3 locations.
@support what kind of data structure/format are roon backup db stored in ?
Whats are the alternate solutions to extract the favorites and playlists from that backup in any possible way ?

The entire backup/restore code is questionable…

Unfortunately not much help; just a bitter comment.

Hi @thibaud_Van_Vreckem,

Can you please share a screenshot of your backup folder?

Also, on the new machine with the restore failing, can you try to access your Roon logs by using these instructions and upload a set?

Turns out, I had a backup of the original instalation, and directly restoring the database folder from it did work.

1 Like

Hi @thibaud_Van_Vreckem,

Glad to hear that the original backup worked as expected! If you run into any other issues, just let us know!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.