Bandcamp Integration (or just their metadata scraping)

+1 for Bandcamp integration

+1 for Bandcamp integration

No idea how Roon would, if they could, integrate Bandcamp. Calls for it to do so are a bit disingenuous imo. The streaming aspect of Bandcamp is primarily for sampling in order to buy - all MP3 I believe, and many artists will only have a handful of tracks on a given album to sample. It would be a complete mess. I like to use Bandcamp itself for research, and often the artists are then available for streaming on Tidal or Qobuz (more often Tidal for the obscurer) or if they’re not I’ll support the artist by purchasing the download.

1 Like

Most artists offer FLAC in addition to MP3 downloads on bandcamp. And I would think the only part that should integrate with Roon would be your Bandcamp purchased library, not sample tracks.

I think @Charles_Peterson meant that the online samples are in MP3.

Hmm, not sure what you mean by this. All purchased Bandcamp tracks can be downloaded into one’s local storage, I.e. in Roon, Settings==>Storage. Why would Roon need to interface with Bandcamp purchases in the way the Bandcamp app does? Seems like a waste of coding resources.

1 Like

Would be a whole lot easier to just be able to sign into Bandcamp (like Tidal, etc) and have the music there. Plus this could also facilitate further purchases on Bandcamp, which is a great thing.

But honestly, this is where the CEOs of Roon and Bandcamp have lunch/zoom/dinner and decide it’s a good thing for both, then make it happen. If “coding resources” are that scare, lord help us all.

Opportunity costs.

+11 for Bandcamp integration

1 Like

+111 Bandcamp integration

1 Like

Another +1 for bandcamp integration. My favorite music service by far.

1 Like

Yet another +1 for bandcamp integration. It’s become an indispensable source for finding music for sale by lesser known and local artists.

1 Like

Bandcamp integration +1

1 Like

+999 for Bandcamp Integration

1 Like

Wouldn’t integration of Bandcamp also potentially allow you to stream where possible tracks/albums you haven’t bought?

Most artists allow you to stream either a small number of tracks from an album or all the tracks but a limited number of times. There are also many albums that can be freely streamed all the time and/or downloaded for free/pay what you want.

I think Roon could integrate with Bandcamp in a way that makes it accessible but which also encourages use of Bandcamp. Also the artist focused nature of Bandcamp means I really doubt they’d be concerned about keeping users within their site in the same way the big streaming services seem to be,

Buy album from bandcamp artist and download to your Roon server music storage. There, bandcamp is now integrated. Alternatively, you can search and read about albums and artists on bandcamp and see if they are also streaming in Qobuz or Tidal, and then add those to your Roon library. And the ones that aren’t, see the first sentence.

1 Like

//////////

Super helpful post, thanks

1 Like

Bandcamp integration gets my vote!

3 Likes

Do it to it! Make it so!

1 Like

I subscribe to a couple of labels on Bandcamp. Having Roon take those releases, auto download to my storage and apply its magic to them would be wonderful.

1 Like