Bandcamp Integration (or just their metadata scraping)

+1 for Bandcamp integration

1 Like

+1 for Bandcamp Integration :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s over 2 years since this post of mine, but AFAIK nothing changed.

+1 for Bandcamp Integration

1 Like

And my nine year daughter says +1 to us getting a pony. Guess what, it’s never going to happen, for a number of reason.

Instead of posters mindlessly going on about +1 for bandcamp (and this applies to actual streaming services such as Apple, Spotify etc as well), why don’t they step back and think about it for minute as to what bandcamp actually does, and think about what integration would actually look like - and then if they are still passionate about it and give some real world suggestions as to how it might actually be accomplished. Or at least go back and read the thread as to why it would be difficult and how Roon and bandcamp are offering two entirely different things/experiences.

Well, perhaps the issue is, one buys an album from Bandcamp, downloads it to the Roon server music storage, and its unidentified. Some better ‘integration’ may help, though perhaps this integration should be between Bandcamp and MusicBrainz? I wouldn’t like to see Roon turn into a Bandcamp shop.

1 Like

A kingdom for a horse - even if it’s only a small one… :joy:

1 Like

That’s really on the artist/label to supply metadata in the first place as well. I’m trying to recall if I’ve bought any titles from bandcamp where Roon didn’t at least recognize and supply titles and I can’t, but I don’t doubt it’s a problem.

But I’m sure Roon support would see integration as a whiny nightmare - “why is so and so only MP3’s?” (because samples before buying are available only as MP3’s) “why does so and so only have x- number of tracks or none at all?” (because not all artist offer samples) and so on… Plus I seriously doubt bandcamp even have an API to offer up - they’re really a browser based ‘magazine’ with the ability to purchase direct from artists/labels from a ‘catalog.’ Should Roon integrate Pitchfork and Mojo as well? Discogs? Where does it stop?

On a related note, bandcamp is offering 100% of their sale proceeds tomorrow to the NAACP in honor of Juneteenth. Start your downloads!

As a big Bandcamp client (456 albums as of today): Bandcamp does not ingest full album metadata, it just displays the copy they get from labels and/or artists, and store the tracks (which may or may not have reasonable metadata tags). Only a few independent labels upload usable metadata to metadata services, and those that do (like Clean Feed) tend to use Discogs rather than Musicbrainz. Unfortunately, the Discogs schema is incompatible with the schemas that AllMusic, Musicbrainz, and Roon use, translation from Discogs to the others needs manual adjustment.

TL; DR metadata is an awful mess, and streaming is if anything making it worse.

Just thought I’d add my voice here – I would love to see integration with Bandcamp!

They are starting to roll out more streaming, and support either of that streaming, or – ideally – automatic download/sync of lossless to the Roon library would be excellent.

Well, depending on your purchase, you can download lossless. Though I think the samples are MP3. That is one workaround of course, downloading your purchase, but then you don’t get all the meta data. So some sort of integration would be great, and if it allowed for purchase options, that would be great too.

I would want roon to only integrate my Bandcamp library. Integration of the free listens on Bandcamp would be a nightmare I’m sure.

I vote for a cooparation Bandcamp and Qobuz. Bandcamp is not a streaming service. It has just limited streaming features as addon.

1 Like

A bandcamp album loads from Tidal, why can’t roon use Tidal’s metadata rather than not being able to find it at all?

If I’m not mistaken, Bandcamp is really an artist platform for which is a place to go and BUY the artist music so they get freaking paid?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think Bandcamp is meant be a streaming platform e.g. for free (a la spotify)? If you listen to an album / song repeatedly you get a notice hinting “you should purchase this”. Now if you made a purchase (CD’s, Vinyl, dig downloads) then yeah you have unlimited streaming - which I take is useful when you are away from your local library (car, remote location etc…).

I use Bandcamp a lot / whenever I can, especially on Bandcamp Friday’s when most of the proceeds go to the artists.

So my point in all this is, what would be the benefit to add Bandcamp as another streaming service to roon? I would just play the (local) album I purchased from Bandcamp. If the artist would get additional $ for each stream in addition to the CD/download one purchased, yeah sure. Unless BC is setup to give the artist proper $ in a streaming platform I don’t see the point.

3 Likes

Because metadata licensing is very convoluted. Roon gets its metadata from some paid (such as AllMusic) and some free (such as Musicbrainz) sources. They cannot rip Tidal or Qobuz metadata, which is there for Tidal or Qobuz streaming exclusively.

Thanks. Just strange to me that the info exists, but none of the services Roon subscribes to has it! Has happened many times with non-mainstream releases. There’s no way to get it in there until Roon recognizes it itself unfortunately, would be nice to be able to force it.

I face the same issue often with non-mainstream releases. The problem is that self- or small-label releases often don’t provide metadata to free metadata providers like Musicbrainz. When I have the time, I do it myself using the Musicbrainz Picard app. Musicbrainz additions eventually filter down to Roon.

Indeed. I bought some bandcamp releases recently, but Roon doesn’t seem to have the metadata and is not able to identify.

I have 45 unidentified out of 481 Bandcamp releases. I need a rainy weekend or two to make a dent on this by adding the missing metadata to Musicbrainz…