Basic Install hookup? How to get started?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
iMac 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Mac OS Catalina version 10.15

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet connection 300 mb/second

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Bryston DAC bda-1 hooked up to Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver

Description Of Issue

Basic install? My DAC is 80 feet away from iMac. Do I connect iMac to Bryston DAC with an 80 foot USB cord and I will be ready to go? Not sure how to hook things up

I would suggest perhaps something in between to get from network to usb at the dac end. You can’t run usb more than about 1-2m reliably

Do you have lan Ethernet at the dac end too?

If you have an old macmini you could install roon bridge on it and use it as an endpoint to connect the dac to via usb, even using WiFi and a very old macmini is workable for an endpoint like 2010 vintage

Yes I have an ethernet line that runs from iMac to a Sonos controller box. The Sonos controller box is right beside my Bryston DAC. I want to get rid of the Sonos and use Roon. Can I just unplug the ethernet to the Sonos box and plug it into my Bryston DAC and I will be good to go? Sorry for these very basic questions about how to hook things up. I am very new to this.

If possible, connect your computer with Roon core to your network using ethernet. Then, connect your DAC to your network using ethernet or WIFI if ethernet is not available. If your DAC only connects using USB, you could possible move your computer or you’ll need a Roon bridge device of some sort that can connect via ethernet then USB to your DAC from there.

If the Bryston has Ethernet you could certainly try…it might be roon ready

Hi @Darren_Langohr,

The Bryston BDA-1 is not Roon Ready (so it can’t be played to over the network), but you could use Roon Bridge as suggested above to play to it. You can read more about Roon Bridge in our KB: https://kb.roonlabs.com/RoonBridge

1 Like

https://roonlabs.com/partners/bryston.html Looks like it’s not roon ready

I just checked and unfortunately the Bryston DAC does not have ethernet so it will have to be a USB connection. I will look into the Roon Bridge option. Thanks very much

Hi @Darren_Langohr,

Yes, since the Bryston DAC does not have an Ethernet port and it is not Roon Ready, you will need to use the Roon Bridge option.

You can use another PC to facilitate the Roon Bridge connection, or you can get a dedicated Roon Bridge device which facilitates the Ethernet -> USB connection.

Some popular device options include Sonore Micro/UltraRendu or Allo USBridge or Rasberry Pi based Bridges (just a heads up - the Rasberry Pi Bridges are a bit more DIY and typically you need to assemble them).

Or, you could go with an Allo DigiOne if you wanted to use Coax SPDIF in. :smiley:

You could also temporarily (restricted to 48/16) use the digital output of the Sonos (a Connect?) into the Bryston… Roon will find the Sonos on the network.

Or even move the iMac just to see how it works/sounds?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.