Batch CD ripping on macOS

Gary

Thanks, maybe I can! Have emailed their support address :slight_smile: .

About 5,000. They’re all readily accessible physically, and each batch would go straight into a box for donation probably.

(Of course, thinking about the wisdom of ripping music which is also available (especially via Roon) on Qobuz and Presto does make my head spin too :slight_smile: It may be that I would really only need to tackle rare, old (have been collecting CDs since the early 1980s) and otherwise hard-to-find-on-streaming items.

But either way, if I did ten a day at, say ten minutes each (running the rip of the second concurrently with the tagging of the first etc), that’s an hour and a half, say. But could take a year.

But I suppose we’ve all been there. Maybe I just have to put my head down and do it!

I can imagine 3,000. But, as you say it could be worse, at least we know that FLAC is unlikely to be bettered. Is it?

Andrew,

The tea? Or leaving spinning unattended?

But I am prepared to monitor after the rip and fix the metadata.

Nope. Lossless is lossless. A secure FLAC rip is a bit perfect copy of the CD.

1 Like

the spinning unattended. Also keep in mind that (in my case), maybe one in 50 or one in 100 rips had some issue with ripping error reported, or a warning. Then I might clean the CD and rerip. Or often a CD that rips with errors/warnings on one CD drive will rip without errors on a different CD drive. This kind of stuff is better dealt with in the moment.

p.s. I could have ripped 20 CDs in the time I’ve written the last 3 posts! :wink:

1 Like

Bad idea. Get the metadata right first, rip second.

AJ

1 Like

The way I propose, Andrew, is to correct/edit/add to the metadata in writeable files after ripping the read-only contents of my optical media (CDs). Or have I misunderstood you?

Gary,

Definitely. I think my cup-of-something misfired. I’m not looking for a solution that takes me out of the picture entirely. I shall always (be prepared to) edit metadata afterwards - or at least before importing into Roon, for instance. I shall always try the resulting FLAC file for integrity; and repeat if necessary.

I’m just looking for a way to save some time - ideally be having the hardware to cope with half a dozen CDs and the software to carry out the initial ripping (and maybe processing) semi-automatically, as a batch process.

You can certainly do it however you wish. But some of us, including me, are simply saying that batch ripping only has the appearance of saving time. It can actually take more time.

p.s. If you are a major streaming user (I am not), then your idea of only ripping things that are otherwise unavailable might be the best approach, at least to get started.

Gary,

That sounds like the voices of experience to me; and ones I should listen to! Thanks.

My library is exclusively classical and contains a lot of sets - e.g. all 32 Beethoven piano sonatas, all 15 Shostakovich symphonies; released as one ‘product’.

So to be able to ‘deal’ with them all in one go - much as the sellers of classical FLACs make them available - does seem attractive.

Because Yate can load hundreds of tracks/files at once and bulk edit them for the kind of metadata that classical needs (composer first, then (subdivision of) multi-movement operas, symphonies, song cycles etc) I somehow feel there may be an advantage to batching CDs which often represent essentially a continuous work that just happens to be distributed across three or four CDs.

But, again, that may be a false impression on my part and more trouble than it is worth to try and implement : ) .

Thanks!

Yate is excellent. I use it alongside Tag Editor, because I like the latter’s grid interface for certain comparative editing. But Yate does everything else, and it also handles .dsf files, which Tag Editor does not.

One final caveat about your plan, then I will shut up, I promise: sometimes dBpoweramp, as good as it is, completely mis-recognizes discs, and you may find yourself confused about what you are left with.

@DDPS,

Isn’t it just - and Barry’s support and knowledge are amazing.

I’d never ask you to shut up! But… point taken. Thanks. As I say, I’m completely prepared to have to do post editing/tidy up.

I know, for instance, that I shall have to experiment with auto-tagging… MusicBrainz, Discogs etc. But I’ve been impressed with how well Roon does. Although because Roon never touches the files which it’s imported, my raw FLAC files would always be left without those corrections. That’s not the case after a good solid session with Yate, of course.

1 Like

Hello @Mark_Sealey,

I no longer have my mac mini but I used to rip all my cds to flac with dbpoweramp for mac and did the metadata editing with perfect tunes. Both can be purchased in one package from the same company.

The settings for ripping the cds are as i remember very important as you can for example set the compression type, secure ripping or the general saving and naming of files and exclude/replace certain characters which are not supported by the os of the player or system.

I might still have a pdf with the optimal settings somewhere.

Worked very well for me and would do it again this way if I had to (although it was not batch ripping…)

Um, you’re probably resident in a country where, legally, you should retain ownership of your ripped CDs to avoid being in breach of local copyright laws.

My CDs are in boxes in the attic for this reason…

4 Likes

I’ve also kept my CDs but not just for legal reasons.
Selling a hard earned and memorable collection for nearly peanuts hurts far too much.

And if I would have to rip the cds once again in the future because of crashed hard drives or file corruption or if there might be a new superduper lossless format I would be screwed…

Even more reason that metadata and file naming/organization, not ripping, will be the major task. Classical metadata and album organization is even more chaotic with the “automatic” approach. Pop music gets it right automatically 90% of the time. Jazz maybe 80%. Classical is likely 10%, if that. Particularly because in classical, the performer is often not the key tag, and instead the composer. And things like Works, etc. are critical. Whereas in pop music, albumartist, song title, album title gets you almost all one needs.

Yup, as @garym says, Classical metadata can be a nightmare - particularly if you’re dealing with box sets. It’s very important to get the folder naming structure right - follow Roon’s rules on this. Most box sets don’t.

1 Like

I ripped quite a few albums using the built in functionality on Roon. Hooked up a Sony CD drive to the Room Core via USB and just let it do it’s thing.

You do have to navigate to the UI at the Roon IP address, but it automatically added everything to the library and didn’t even have to go looking for album art.

As mentioned above, classical music might not work at well as rock and pop, but it was painless.

1 Like

Ditto. Ditto.

1 Like

yes, but has it added all this information to the metadata tags of the files and created a user-friendly folder/file naming and organization scheme? And saved the album art as “folder.jpg”, “cover.jpg”, or embedded art (rather than simply associating the album with roon album art).

I mention all this, as I prefer my files to have complete/correct metadata, independent of whether they are being used in Roon. See: ROCK CD Ripper performance - #2 by mikeb

p.s. I don’t believe the Roon ripper has any mechanism for checking rips against the AccurateRip database.

1 Like

I have a Roon lifetime licence, to be honest, I’m not that concerned. I could always go back and mess around with meta data after if I went to another software.

I don’t get the nervosa about meta data unless you are looking at classical music. I listen to music, not meta data and for what I listen to Roon manages it well.

If the CD doesn’t rip properly, Roon tells you and aborts.

For those CD’s, I either use streaming or I could try ripping it with another computer.

1 Like