BBC internet radio stations no longer play

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Qnap TVS 471 with the latest firmware.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All wired Cat5e, basic switches BT Router latest model

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian 210 streamer, Bluesound Pulse 2, Mini and Flex

Description Of Issue

I can no longer stream internet radio stations, in particular the BBC.
If I add an MP3 stream I can play it. This is an example.
http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio2_mf_p

I have rebooted Roon core and my NAS. I can play music via my local library and Tidal without issue. I am located in the UK.
It seems to me AAC streams are the main fault also https streams.

Some help in resolving this issue would be appreciated, decent radio availability is a large part of my Roon experience

As your core is on a Qnap, I think it’s worth pinging @crieke to see if he has any ideas.

1 Like

Hi @Chrislayeruk,

Do you have another PC you can try to use as a Roon Core?
Is the QNAP the only Core affected?

I havnt tried another core, I normally only use the qnap

I am trying to log in on a Windows PC but the logging in symbol just hangs. if I try to re set the password, that hangs also and no email arrives.
I have used the laptop, windows 10, in the past as a Roon core.

Update, I have managed to run Roon core on my windows 10 laptop and can still not get BBC Radio aac stations. I can play MP3 48Khz24bit 2ch 128kbps.

The aac streams are not even clickable on the relevant page in Roon.

I have AAC 48Khz BBC 5 live playing but the 360 Kbps link is not clickable

The search function via this PC is terrible. I cannot find many UK National BBC radio stations either. Radio 4, Radio 3 etc should just jump out at you if you select the England location?

To answer your question, it looks like the QNAP core is not the only one effected

I am using a Rock as my core but I cannot access the BBC Radio stations either. Since yesterday’s update they no longer play. I am not based in the UK, but I could access the 128kbps mp3 streams. Now, I can only get these stations to play the 96kbps AAC streams. Except for BBC Radio 4e, which does not even have a 96kbps AAC stream.

When I use Bluesound I have no problem playing these stations. Why has the Roon update blocked these streams?

Chris, as you know, there is a problem with BBC https mp3 streams at present. I’ve temporarily added a bbc6 http 320 stream for you to try. You’ll see it as the 319k version.

Can you play that?

Sadly, they still don’t play. “playback was interupted beacause a track failed to load”.

Can you play other stations?

I’ve just tried about 30 different stations from all over the world. Only 4 or 5 played, including a low res stream from the BBC! No other BBC stream would play, low bitrate or high bitrate.

Then I am also sorry to tell you that you have the same problem as @Chrislayeruk. It may be QNAP related but I don’t think that’s confirmed.

Moving this to #support

@crieke - I think you are already looking at a similar problem in another thread?

OK, I have a powerful PC. Would it be worth running the core on the PC to see whether it is QNAP related?

Yes. Please do.

1 Like

OK, Windows Roon is still counting up my tunes but I have already been able to confirm that Radio 2 and Norfolk are now working.

On my QNAP TS-453Be, the “France Musique” channels are blocked after the update to qts 4.5.1.
very bad.

Mine is also on 4.5.1 but I’ve only had it for 5 days so updated to 4.5.1 straight away.

By the way: I have 3 “hardware” internet receivers here in the house. All 3 receive the channels of “france musique” perfectly.

Non of these are working for me with QNAP core. They didn’t work when I tired a windows core also.

I have the same problem with BBC Radio 3, 4, 4e and 5. Since yesterday’s update they no longer play. I am not based in the UK, but I could access the 128kbps mp3 streams. However, now these don’t play anymore. I can only get these stations to play the 96kbps AAC streams. Except for BBC Radio 4e, which does not even have a 128kbps mp3 stream.

Why has the Roon update broken these links? And will they be made available again?

Indeed, I see that only the AAC 96kbps stream for BBC Radio 3 is now working; the AAC320kbps and MP3 128kbps streams return errors.

I’m the the Netherlands.

Hi Geoff, I am also experiencing this in the Netherlands