BBC stations breaking up requiring coreaudiod force quit

Hi Noris,

Thank you for looking into that. I have managed to replace the Synology router with a different brand and so far no drop outs for a week or so. Looks like it is the Synology router. I have asked them for a solution.

1 Like

Hi @GraemeM,

That’s fantastic news, thanks for letting us know the replaced router resolved this issue!

I will go ahead and close this case, but if you run into any other issues, just let us know and we’d be happy to take another look!

Well its good that the cause of the problem is clear and it’s not roon. Although it does seem to be more sensitive to the issue than other players. Any advice on how to persuade Synology to accept blame and do something about it?

Hi @GraemeM,

It might be difficult to prove that there is a hardware issue on that router, when I looked at logs, it looked like DNS issues, so you might want to check to see if you have other programs with DNS issues when using that router.

I will say that there are many many issues with coreaudiod bombing out after playing a while, even in otherwise stable systems. Mine dies regularly on my M2 Macbook Air / Ventura. More frequently if I’m docking and undocking, and using multiple directly-connected USB DACs without rebooting. I think this is entirely Mac internal, and has nothing to do with Roon - you’d have the same experience if you were streaming from the Qobuz or Tidal or Spotify apps themselves, at least that’s been my experience. I built a shortcut to force kill coreaudiod, leave it in my dock, and deal with it until Apple does. Maybe some sources do it more frequently than others, but I can’t for the life of me figure that out. That’s my 2 cents.

I’ve tried this (turning off integer mode), and think it does help a bit - and it certainly would explain what’s going on. But I feel like this is a ghost I’m better off swatting each time it arises than finding a root cause, since it plagues so many other people.