Best DAC with Roon?

I heard that the Pro-Ject Pre-Box S2 digital was recently released. It has sabre DAC’s, is Roon ready and has mqa built in. All for €350.

Has anyone seen any reviews? Almost seems perfect.

@MusicEar: What is the least up-sampling rate you would recommend with the Holo Spring for best results e.g. is DSD128 good enough ?

It doesn’t appear to have a network socket in the pics I found?

Hmm, wonder if it is wifi then. I did say almost.

Bang for your buck, it has to be the Schiit Yggy, which will be my next DAC upgrade. I own a Schiit Gumby, and I am extremely pleased with it. Also have a Meridian Prime Headphone/Amp/DAC which does a great job on MQA files.

1 Like

Ah, finally a question that i can answer with confidence!! Stahltek Opus Prime - if you can find one on the used market, maybe $15k.

If cost is no object, Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 is hard to beat. It is the best I have heard and has been in my system for over a year now. It converts DSD to PCM on the fly b/c their folks thinks it sounds better. I am agnostic on the subject, but I can tell you it’s seamless and all sources sound pretty dang good-redbook is particularly remarkable. MQA support is due by the end of this month.

Hi @Rick_Trautner

What were the other DACs you compared your BADA Ref 2 with?

Value for money it would have to be the Roon Ready HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro

1 Like

I have one of those. Sure a nice little unit for the price. Sounds real good.

1 Like

Nagra HD DAC sounds like the best LP player with ROON

3 Likes

Hi Christoph
In my system I have auditioned Ayre QB-9 DSD and DX-5, Schitt Yggdrasil, Totaldac d1-dual. Have auditioned others in other settings including DCS. To be clear, I’m only talking about my ears and my experience-there are many more DAC’s that I haven’t heard. The BADA is also the most expensive one I’ve heard.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Rick
Thanks for your extenisve answer.
What dCS model did you listen to?
I wish you many happy listening hours with your BADA.

LINN Akurate DS / DSM in the affordable range

https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/network-music-players/akurate

LINN Klimax DS / DSM @ high end

https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/network-music-players/klimax

@Horst_P_Beck – The Linn devices are not the best DAC for Roon (yet) – because they don’t really work with Roon (yes yes, there are hoops you can jump through). I hope to have different and positive news on this later.

@Ludwig – how is your dCS setup?

@Ratbert – The NADAC is at the top of my personal list. Obviously I’ve not heard everything out there, but those guys at Merging are my audio heros right now.

:slight_smile:

I agree with wklie. USB has been nothing but trouble for me. The best digital I have had was using a Linn Klimax DS. I now use an Ayre QX-5. It is just as good as the DS. I have not compared it to the latest version with the Katalyst architecture. The Simaudio 780D is really good too.

Simaudio 780…:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

I have to second this. And the new firmware update - Huron - is f@&*ing amazeballs. It is the most anologue-like sound I have heard come from a DAC. It really is just as good as (most) everyone says it is. AND, you can get it MUCH cheaper than sticker. Still not cheap, but not 7k either. Used PWD MKII models make a great upgradable option. The dealers who carry PS stuff also offer great deals - feel free to IM if you want any specifics. There is an update coming to Bridge II imminently that will bring in Tidal and MQA streaming as well. I stretched onto a serious limb (pardon the mixed met) to buy mine and have ZERO regret. It’s bananas good. (collects royalties and exits room) jk - not paid or affiliated, just in love.

For the audio use in the kitchen, livingroom and others I am using several Raspberry PI3 + IQaudIO Dac Pros.
In my listening room I am using a Schiit Yggdrasil and a LaRosita PI-R.