Best DAC with Roon?

this thread interests me as I want to update my ifi micro idsd
as my ‘‘TT’’ dac.
i’m also considering the new Hugo2, esp given it’s portability aspect.

others on another forum also recently also suggested these to me:
Adi-2 Pro with a trans-portable with a 12v battery pack
Halo Spring 3
Ayre Codex
Resonessence Veritas

Schiit Yggy or Gumby would be worth a look. Are you interested in MQA? Meridian Explorer 2 is a nice inexpensive MQA capable USB DAC.

1 Like

I have had various and still have some RME gear. I wouldn’t consider them the best solution for a playback system, a bit too clinical, their specialty is more ADC for recording studios.

Maybe add the Auralic Vega to your audition list. I think’s it’s price is in the 3k range now.

And yes the Schiit Yggy as Robert mentions.

My vote is for Holo Spring KTE (Kitsune Tuned Edition). Retails for $2,500 directly from Kitsune (US)

my friend (who has the auralic aries) and I are both considering the **PS audio directstream dac jr…**just wondering if I’d still need my microrendu and lps 1…probably wouldn’t need any sonic transporter or nimrita…but unsure…still investigating all parts of the chain and what would work and what would be redundant.

also considering the kitsune halo dac…

i’m getting in the hugo2 to test out for a few week…should be fun.

feedback for those using the ps audio direct stream dac jr is appreciated: what else are you using in your chain/setup? thanks

@Jaspal_Kallar

DSD512 with Holo Spring really shine, after all many use this to up-sampled depending on hardware capabilities. For me I do up to DSD256 with an i5 NUC and it sounds gorgeous especially streaming from Tidal.

Thanks @MusicEar, appreciate the reply

j_c14h2
my friend (who has the auralic aries) and I are both considering the PS audio directstream dac jr…just wondering if I’d still need my microrendu and lps 1…probably wouldn’t need any sonic transporter or nimrita…but unsure…still investigating all parts of the chain and what would work and what would be redundant.

I own the PSA DSjr. It sits directly on my network, connected to my router via its Bridge II network adapter. Works just fine. No hiccups, skips or stutter - it just works. I’m extremely happy with it both as a highly reliable network endpoint and as great sounding DAC.

So no need for a microrendu?

No Roon Ready devices have a need for a USB endpoint

There is a very positive review in June issue Hifi-News and I also read one in Swedish magazine Hifi & Musik, which made me intrigued about this little box. I will try it with my headphoens as soon as it hits the stores. But yes, in what way is it Roon ready? I don’t really get this part.

Based on client feedback likely the MSB Select 2 with Femto 33 clock. They have a new Roonready Ethernet renderer module coming out soon that will take things up a notch.

Might want to audition the Oppo Sonica Dac @ $800 much better than Ayre Codex- wider soundstage, better base, and midrange on my HIFIMan 1000 v2 cans and Aurium Pathos amp.

Musical Fidelity M1Dac. Very good value and particularly good at revealing low end detail.

2 Likes

Meridian Explorer. It’s portable so if you take your RoonServer laptop with you, you can stil listen to quality tunes…

Oh and that’s exactly what I have and will be doing. :stuck_out_tongue:

DAC/pre-amp with Ethernet input and balanced outputs? That can be a ROON endpoint of course, or at least ROON can send it music over Ethernet (doesn’t necessarily have to be an full endpoint, eg. that I can group etc).

I’d like a system that looks like: ROON Rock on NUC connected to Ethernet, a DAC/pre-amp (passive is ok) with Ethernet input feeding an amp via balanced/xlr out, speakers. That’s it.

Basically I love the simplicity that is my KEF LS50w, but I’m wondering if I could create a similarly simple system that’s a little more modular, whereby I can try out different speakers and amps.

I see one from Merging Technologies - NADAC that seems to fit the bill, but a bit pricey. Also maybe the Ayre QX-5, but not sure of ROON support over Ethernet.

1 Like

Currently, I am liking my Chord 2Qute DAC, into a Violectric V281.(headphone guy mostly)

I’ve owned a couple dozen DACs over the years. I also like Schiit equipment, and have been considering the Yggy DAC.

Rick, what server are you using and how do you have your server/ server-dac interface configured? I have a Berk Ref Series 1 (waiting… waiting, waiting… for upgrade to v2) and as I am new to Roon, now leaving Aurender behind. I am finding that some Berk. Ref. users prefer eliminating USB and the Berk. USB converter with Berk/Roon, which is hardly what Michael and Michael recommend. I don’t want to purchase a USB-based server if I jump ship and pick up a dCS Rossini or Linn Klimax, which I will be compelled to do if Berkeley doesn’t soon resume their upgrade program. Thanks. -David

What is the consensus has anyone tried the Yggi, PS Audio directstream, or Chord qutest. I have no way to hear them all I have a Mojo.

The “Best DAC for Roon” is highly dependent on your needs and budget. First you should decide on what features you need. When I bought my last DAC I had these priorities:

1. Works easily with Windows and Roon.
  2. Best possible sound for DSD and PCM
  3. As future-proof as possible (e.g. at least DSD512 native and 768k PCM)
  4. I did not care about MQA support since I have a high-bandwidth Internet connection

Btw, there are many very popular DACs for under $500 with “support” for everything including MQA that sound really terrible to me. I don’t want to start a separate discussion but I would highly recommend personally listening to any 1 bit Delta-Sigma DAC before purchasing it. If you understand how DACs work then you will see that this design is based on ease of manufacturing and profit margins, not sound quality as it introduces a lot of noise into the D to A process which must then be filtered back out. To my ears, all 1bit delta-sigma DACs have a harsh “digital” sound to the music which is somewhat reduced in multibit DACs and non-existent in good R2R DAC designs (some of which may be called multibit DACs).

The best DAC I found for my needs was the Denafrips Ares II which was about $700 US but sounds better than most $2000+ DACs I have heard.