Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

Ahhh, I see the issue. It’s because you insert your own adjectives without justification. I struggled to find the Topping DAC they’d declared “perfect” but I guess that’s your words again. Perhaps if you read and wrote a little more carefully and concisely?

For the record, I like the site, it’s a source of objective data. I’ve still never bought anything on their say so, but I like researching purchases properly.

The DACs are rated by SINAD a well defined term, no “whatevering” required. Engineers don’t all have access to your ears and tend to deal in objective measures to fill the gap.

BTW, the highest rated DAC on the table was a Mola Mola. I think if you bought one and listened to it while looking at the receipt you’d like it fine.

1 Like

Topping D90. I really can’t be arsed to find the actual adjectives he used to express his admiration for the product. Read the review and you’ll have no doubt he found it to be a very, very good DAC indeed, based on his ‘measurements’ - how’s that for understatement? But actually it was rubbish, as I discovered by playing music on it.

Oh and he also loved the general design and quality You can do your own research if you need to know the exact terms he used. From my scientific evaluation - it had all the design and perceived quality of a clock radio.

And what does your reference to Mola Mola have to do with anything?

1 Like

I’ll admit it was mischievous regarding price, my point was it’s higher rated than the “perfect” Topping. Words matter and should be chosen carefully.

Says a lot. You’re in fact putting your words in someone else’s mouth, and perhaps not carefully.

I’ll admit it was mischievous regarding price, my point was it’s higher rated than the “perfect” Topping. Words matter and should be chosen carefully.

[Moderated]

Objective and subjective are fundamental elements of life.
What if your ears receive a wonderfull message but there is no way to objectively quantify the beauty?

Today physicists understand electrons don’t flow at all but rather propagate in a wave of energy that moves along a conductor with a multitude of factors that alters this wave at the quantum level. To understand how electricity travels without electrons ever leaving their respective atoms it is helpful to consider the spectator ‘wave’ at a football match. Even though you can clearly see a wave pattern moving from spectator to spectator as fans raise and then lower their hands (without hands jumping from one person to the next), so too does electricity ‘move’ without electrons ever leaving their atoms. At Synergistic Research we’ve isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates by changing the behavior of electrons through Inductive Quantum Coupling methods we collectively call UEF Tech. In fact, UEF Tech is so powerful even an electrical chain several miles long is fundimentally improved with nothing more than a single fuse engineered with our patented UEF Technology.

Using an ultra low noise regulator does not mean the supply is ultra low noise

The output noise of a supply is the result of the noise the supply introduces itself, unfiltered noise from outside, ground loop noise and the regulator noise. The first three measured not on a bench, but when the supply is in a system, are typically much higher than the last and must be addressed very seriously. The regulator takes care of only a real small part of the quality of the supply, there is much much much more to it than regulators alone. The regulator always damps only a limited amount of this noise in a very limited bandwidth, like around -100dB in the 100Hz region and only -50 dB at 10MHz max, and nothing anymore at higher frequencies, for the best ones on the market now (like LT3045). So making a good supply, especially in the for digital equipment very relevant > 10MHz Hf region is not at all about the regulator, but all about the supply itself.

Yeah, I’d noticed that nonsense as they prepare you to pay $150 for a 1 inch wire. Pseudo-science is the term.

Parting with that kind of money for a fuse is a powerful incentive to hear something. What if putting all of that cable and fuse money into better speakers or room treatment proved far more effective and provided an objective improvement?

I agree with everything I understand in this post, I’m not a power supply engineer. I just don’t believe it’ll change the “sound quality” of audio data delivered by a small form factor PC. I am an experienced software dev who’s handy with hardware so consider myself I qualified to evaluate the credibility of that claim.

God is in the details!

I’m as dubious about this guys existence as I am about the merits woo wire fuses. :joy:

3 Likes

Why would that be nonsense? Because they prepare you? Because for you, within your experience and qualification = your reference, this is a fact?

Anyway, I’m happy with the Farad super3 including “The Fuse” and can recommend it to every soul who wants a musical result in combination with the Nucleus.

Qurious what kind of music you listen to!

What is a fact is data transmission is not affected by the power supply, cable or fuse. There are exceptions but these usually involve extreme conditions and/or poor engineering. Implemented properly there’s no theoretical mechanism or documented examples of this “phenomenon”. The reliability of the internet is testament to this.

Genuinely glad to hear it, though personally I could buy a lot of subjective pleasures for that money which I think I’d find more entertaining ;).

Checkout the what are we listening to thread, I post there regularly and it’s more fun than here. In summary, a mixed bag ranging from Classical and Opera through to punk, indie and electronic music.

Best,
Carl

Extreme subjecting pleasure just arrived.

3 Likes

So you’ve not actually “heard” the fuse before? That’s not a sentence I’m comfortable writing BTW.

1 Like

Funny, this shows how a narrow brain can work.
For an other application.

I expected you to say that, but I’m biased, enjoy. When you can actually present an argument/evidence that disproves nearly a century of information theory, and 30 years of engineering on a grand scale I’m all ears. Quick tip, “my ears” tell me that Nobel winning theories and possibly mans greatest engineering feat (the internet) are wrong/built on misunderstandings isn’t going to cut it. Neither does pseudo science from a snake oil-salesman. I rarely use that term, if ever, but a $150 fuse brings out the worst in me. Perhaps it’s my narrow mind after all.

1 Like

A fat joint.

2 Likes

Or a glas of Rioja, Gran Reserva…:wink: rather spend 150 on red wine than a short fuse…

2 Likes

Maybe I don’t see the fun in repeating other people’s falsehoods. It’s particularly irritating when the folk whose “authority” is borrowed are obviously profiting from others lack of knowledge. I stay out of matters analogue, but up to the point that bits arrive at the DAC the music is just data, and that’s a subject I understand well. There’s nothing special about audio data.

I’m happy to leave you to your “fun” in the analogue domain. You’re certainly been gas-lighted, but not by me. If you’re looking for the culprit it’s whoever persuaded you that a fuse could improve data transmission.

I’ll happily endorse the improvements suggested by @davidh and @Magnus_WIDELL that’s money well spent and much more my idea of fun.

2 Likes

Bustin’ hope you had a good weekend.

Unfortunately the topic is if a linear power supply would make a difference in sound quality. This you should have understood.

And the answers is YES. In the Roon white paper it’s mentioned, as well, and my setup confirms this after installing a Farad super 3 power supply.

It makes a BIG difference and I’ll recommend to everyone who is looking for the best SQ from the Nucleus to try the Farad and read the reviews.

Enjoy.

1 Like