Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

I like sbooster for music servers .

Roon does not reccommend the third party LPSU.
How does Roon Labs protect internal circuit board of Nucleus from damage possibility caused by the non Roon purchased LPSU???

You have a link that talks about benefits of using an LPS for a server? Right now, Iā€™m only seeing 2 articles that say they donā€™t benefit dacs and streamers.

2 Likes

I m not going to do the research for you over at Audio Science . The general consensus is LPS benefits servers but not dacs according to the measurements done on that site .

In my defense, I did search on ASR and I easily found the links you posted. Itā€™s just that I genuinely canā€™t find posts that talk about the benefits for servers. A shame as Iā€™d be interested in reading up on it.

I would also be interested in the Audio Science testing that LPS benefits a computer but not a DAC.
I have never seen this and it could push me off in the direction of buying one.
I have read and listened to plenty of people saying this but never the measurements to back this up, so if you could share this link I would jump in and read tonight.

HD-PLEX 300w LPSU owner here, its 4 outputs are suppling:

19v 10A - ROCK: Intel NUC i7 10th Gen FNK2: 16GB RAM 256GB MVMe SSD
12v 10A - Storage: QNAP TS-251+: 8GB RAM 2x 2TB SSDs
12v 3.6A - Switch: NETGEAR ProSafe GS105
12v 3.6A - Router: TP-Link VR900

All tucked away neatly in the same cupboard.

3 Likes

Read the measurement articles on specific servers . They have also measured sbooster with favorable results .

In any case, even if the links could be produced, as Amir didnā€™t specify whether he used the Synergistic Research Orange Fuse, how can we trust the results?

1 Like

No problem if you donā€™t have the article, I do read that site and watch his YouTube videos and have missed him saying this.
I just got a bit excited as I thought you had a link telling me what I wanted to hear.
I know Hans is always raving about the Sbooster but that is sound and not any kind of measurements.

Iā€™m pretty sure there are measurements of the sbooster on Audio Science

Only ones I could find for a new NUC build said no observable differences.
Thanks for getting back anyway.
I am sure when I watch Hans a bit later, he will be mentioning the Sbooster in his review, as it is a Friday :wink:

ooster and the specific product is ā€œBOTWā€ Sbooster | Linear audio upgrade power supplies

Here is a comparison of iFi iDAC2 DAC, being driven by ISO Regen and LPS-1 with power coming from my lab linear power supply and Sbooster BOTW:

As we see they are comparable and there is no extra mains contribution as there is with MeanWell power supply feeding the LPS-1.

I have met the company principals, Wiebren Draaijer, and Karin Hoks and they are delightful people. So happy to send them business (no affiliation) should you need a supply like this.

1 Like

Thanks I will look at this, I was looking in relation to Nucs, but I will have a read anyway

Iā€™ve had a good delve on ASR with various searches while catching up with some ripping. The closest I can find to any endorsement in a review is the second link @davidh posted for the Streamer. Itā€™s worth a careful read. The device microRendu comes sans PSU so he was forced to supply one. The conclusion was that the recommended iFi power supply sucked. He then uses the SBooster and states that it performs in line with his lab power supply, a good thing.

He obviously likes the Sbooster well enough, declaring them a proper engineering company that make a quality product to specification. No where can I find a claim that it improves the audible performance of any product. So if you have a genuine need of a well made linear PSU this would fit the bill, I wouldnā€™t expect it to improve the SQ any though.

1 Like

And that presumably is the whole point of this thread. ā€˜Bestā€™ defined as improving SQ over the standard PSU supplied with a NUC. No evidence is forthcoming on ASR or here to justify a recommended alternative supply for a Nucleus server.

2 Likes

And bingo Hans referenced the Sbooster again this week :+1:t2::grin:

(And that is no complaint as I do contribute to his Patreon)

If that what Audio Science measures, then the opposite is probably true in reality. AS is clueless when it comes to audio.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty absolute statement, care to elaborate?

LOLā€¦AS is the grand bazaar of absolute statements. But to be specificā€¦look at their ridiculous ā€˜league tableā€™ of DACs, ludicrously ranked by SNR or whatever. On one occasion I went along with the logic and bought a Topping DAC, which was ā€˜perfectā€™ in their absolute world. Nice and cheap too. Tried hard to like that DAC, but it made my music sound like crap. I was constantly fast forwarding through my favorite tracks, simply because the Topping sounded like computer synthesized noise. Oh, but it measured wonderfully. After 30 days of trying everything, I sent it back.

1 Like