Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

Thanks all for Your responses. So apparently linear power supply is overadvertised:) Maybe it is my audionervosa and I should pause for a moment. Frankly I just sold my Node 2i, which I used as a streamer (with external DAC) and switched to Roon Nucleus/Matrix SPDIF 2 combo. I never thought changing a streamer may affect sound that much. Node 2i was muddy in comparison to my current setup. Now the sound is much more airy and apparent.

I wouldnā€™t give up. The server is your source, much like a stylus on a turntable is the ultimate source when playing a record. Some will hear a difference with tweaks to the server and others wonā€™t, but both having actually tried better power and cabling. Others will claim that they canā€™t possibly make a difference, end stop - without ever having tried anything themselves. Itā€™s up to you which of those you want to be - somebody with actual experience to go by, or somebody just going by the theories of others on the internet.

1 Like

Thanks, true, but there should be an objective truth if linear PSU can affect sound or not I guessā€¦and somebody for sure has real experience hereā€¦ Before changing a streamer I thought a streamer does not affect sound quality because it is just a digital signal. Now I really hear it and it is not a small difference.

I would compare a stylus on a turnable to a DAC (source of analog sygnal) rather than a streamer I think.

Like I said, thereā€™s theory and then thereā€™s real world hands on experience. IMO the only objectivity in this crazy hobby of ours can come from actual experience first. Only then can one tell if it will make a difference - or not. And not necessarily always for the better.

Yes, the streamer quality makes a huge difference, and should be the first place anyone looks to when upgrading their digital back end (and the power supply and dc cabling and cabling in/out for that streamer). The TT comparison think of it as metaphor, not a one to one replacement for what digital does compared to analog.

Thanks. The only way is to try. As for parameters I understand that the charger can be between 12 - 19 volts, I see the stock PSU is 19v/3,42 A which gives app. 65 w.

Does that mean I should look for a power supply between 12 - 19 volts but giving at least 65w? i.e. if it is 12v it should be at least 5,5A or more? Or it should be 65 w, but no more?

More current availability is not going to be any issue but is unnecessary. stick between 12-19V but nothing over 19V and you should be fine.

I have run my Nucleus RevA on 12V @2A and no issues. The extra current of the original power supply up to 3.42A (65W) might be needed if you have a big SSD added or USB powered drives / DACā€™s attached or are running more RAM or Nucleus+ (i7) but the Nucleus is only an i3 so will not be so demanding.

1 Like

Thanks, I do have USB driven Matrix SPDIF 2 attached. I understand I should not exceed 19 v. But is it ok to plug something like 19 v and 5 A, which will give more than 65 W?

Yes its fineā€¦ I run my Nucleus (not +) sometimes on the 19V <=10A output of an HDPlex 200W LMPS so no issue as long as there is sufficient Amperage to deliver it will only pull what needs.

Thanks a lot. One more question, I understand 17 v and say 8 A is also fine? As I understand the rule would be 12 - 19 v and such numbers of Ampers that will give around 65W or more?

absolutelyā€¦ just the more ampers you have available than needed will increase the cost significantly

Thanks, this is all I needed to know:)

I run my NUC 7i5 (it does have an extra SSD for music files) with an inexpensive ZeroZone Chinese LPS, 12V @6amp (its a 100W/VA unit). Has run almost continuously for a few years now. So anything 12-19V and at least 3-4 amps minimum and you should be fine I think.

2 Likes

I love my HD PLEX Power supply that has 4 different sources and two are adjustableā€¦!!

4 Likes

This is very interesting. It is unfortunately out of stockā€¦

Anyone tried Ferrum Hypsos? Any thoughts?

1 Like

This is interesting. How many devices You can plug into this device? Only one?

Yeah, It has only one DC output.

This is a pain, I need two or three outputsā€¦ HD Plex has four, but seems not to be available at the moment.

It is worth of waiting.

1 Like

Vuleā€¦I can only agree with you. Multiple outlets with two being adjustable ā€¦I am currently using 3 of the four outputs simultaneously. It runs warm-hotā€¦over 90 degrees F depending on ambientā€¦but seems built like a tankā€¦highly recommended.

1 Like