Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

To repel all the enemy shelling, I’d imagine.

Sure, nobody wants things that just fall apart, but why armor something that’s going to sit quietly and seethe with electricity?

1 Like

I have 3 of the 200W units. Just get on the notify list and Larry will update when stock comes in.

I think some redesign has been going on. I have 2 of the Hifi 400W DC-ATX power supplied too and a fanless chassis. Well thought out gear

Larry has great product support and the reason things are out of stock is because keeping with demand is hard when your products are good.

1 Like

I registered on the waiting list:) I guess the one above is 300w.

Hi Guys,
I’ve tried HYPSOS and it is amazing. I have also spoke with my dealer and apparently they plan to have HYPSOS with 2 or 3 outputs. When? I don’t know.
I’ve tried Farad and Sbooster and HYPSOS is much better over all.
Best!

1 Like

It is unfortunately much more expensive as well…

true, it ain’t cheap… maybe the 2 outlets will be more affordable per outlet

I recently put in the Small Green Computer LPS for NUCs. It is 100 watt and mine is set for 12 volt. My NUC is an i7 Fanless Porcoolpine from Simply NUC. Overall it seems to run cooler which is good for the long term life of the NUC.

1 Like

I have a Roon Nucleus v1 that directly feeds my Schiit Yggy DAC via a USB Disruptor. I recently install an HDPLEX 300W Linear Power Supply for the Nucleus and notice a distinct lowering of the noise floor. The magnitude of this lowering was less than the lowering when I went from a MacBook Pro as my Roon core and server to the Nucleus, but it was there. I then also used the LPS to feed the 5v needed for USB to the USB Disruptor and noticed a further lowering of the noise floor, with less magnitude than the installation on the Nucleus (but it was “free”). As noted above, this is not the removal of noise you knew you had, this is removal is noise that you didn’t know you, till it’s gone (there is a song lyric in there someplace). My experience may not apply to SPDIF and also probably does not apply to use cases where the Nucleus is connecting over ethernet to an endpoint that connects to a DAC. Those use cases would need to be empirically determined.

4 Likes

So what voltage are you powering the Nucleus with…12v or 19v? I sent an email to a LPS manufacturer (MOJO audio) enquiring about their LPS and he said the following: The reason Roon specifies 19V is they are accounting for inconsistent linear power supplies and POS switch-mode power supplies…With 12V you also get less heat and lower noise and longer product life (both Nucleus and power supply)."

So should we be powering the Nucleus with 12V? What are others doing?

1 Like

The post below appeared in a tangentially related thread. You may find the information useful.

1 Like

It seems that HDPLEX is available now. I have just ordered one, delivery will be probably late June, but can not wait to listen to it.

One more question for those using HDPLEX 300W Linear Power Supply, what parameters You are using to power Roon Nucleus? (ie.19v/10A)? Isn’t it too much?

With any PSU, you only select the voltage. The current drawn is down to the device being fed.

Thanks, so I can chose 19v and 10A is not a problem (it gives 190w)? I am not a tech expert so apologies for basic questions.

1 Like

Nucleus needs 65W, not 190W. As stated above it will take just under 3.5A at that voltage, at maximum load.

This I understand, but this PSU output is 19 v and as I understand is 10A. Just want to make sure it is safe to plug Nucleus to something that is 19v and up to 190w (stock PSU is app. 3,5A).

Does it mean that 10A is not a problem because Nucleus will take only up to 65W?

Correct. The load (Nucleus) determines the current drawn.

The PSU output is not 10A. A PSU may have this capability but that is not relevant when driving a Nucleus.

1 Like

The voltage has to be exact (or within range, depending on device) - the amperage has to be enough, but too much isn’t a problem (too little is). FTR, I’ve been running a NUC 7i5 for a few years now with a Chinese eBay ZeroZone LPS at 12V (6a) and it’s been fine.

1 Like

Thanks. It seems 19v/10a would be fine. This HDPLEX 300W has 4 outputs (2 regulated) so I will be ale to use it for Matrix SPDIF and an ethernet switch at the same time.

1 Like

Think of this just like your wall outlets…they are capable of delivering way in excess of what is needed to run the Hdplex…thousands of watts or tens of amps, but the Hdplex will only draw what it needs as would your tv or table lamp etc.

The combined output off the Hdplex is 300w over all 4 of its outputs. But the variable outputs are limited to 3A iirc

2 Likes