Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

“The music source was my Roon Nucleus+ powered by an HDPlex linear power supply loaned to me by Jason Victor Serinus (a worthwhile upgrade, I have found).”
John Atkinson - Stereophile (Marten Parker Trio Loudspeaker review)

1 Like

All clear, thanks All. Now i need to wait for HDPlex. It will be in Europe by the end of June.

1 Like

Hi everyone I just replaced a keces p8 with a fully loaded Paul Hyne sr7 to run my nucleus and switch and was quite surprised with the added detail and musicality straight out of the box, hopefully it continues to improve over the coming days. Cheers

1 Like

Save your money, Nucleus works by sending packages async over the network (same for NUC or any other Roon core device). If you disconnect the network to your Roon Ready endpoint it will continue to play for 2-30 seconds. If you hear a difference, it is all in your head - get help from a friend and switch randomly between linear power supply and the standard power supply. If you are capable of hearing a difference - good for you. This whole debate is like claiming square wheels are better than circular for your car. It just does not make any sense. Why someone are so occupied by paying a lot of money for something without any effect is a mystery to me.

15 Likes

The first thing the input voltage see’s on a NUC or Nucleus board is a DC to DC converter (aka switch mode power supply). So, the only part a linear psu can affect is in the cable. If it sounds better, great!

2 Likes

Bingo!

Said it before and it still drives me mad. A nucleus (and any box doing the same job) isn’t an audio device! No audio being done here. Just some calculations and the results passed on. It’s as much audio as the home automation box that waters the garden and controls the blinds. Holy Jeebus!

Throwing a LPS and audio grade switches (what ever that might be) is plain foolish. Letting the community know this changes anything else than your bank account will never be backed by a proper blind test, which you believers will fail miserably. Hands down.

Audio starts where analog signals show up. Be it in timing (USB audio transfer), conversion (the DAC) or the following amplification stage. Cannot be that difficult to grasp.

9 Likes

Well the reason I got an HD Plex power supply was to run my MAC Mini on 12VDC and my Audiobyte DDC with 5VDC instead of AC on both. All I know is they are totally silent in operation…lets me hear the silence between the notes…:wink:

@Bernd_Kurte is 100% correct. Don’t waste your hard-earned money here.

This can be about the pollution that switch modes introduce into the power and space of the hifi area so don’t just write an LMPS off as no benefit. It also saves a few power outlets if you use up all 4 outputs effectively and delivers on my needs for PC and other devices power needs.

I can’t hand on heart say I personally hear any audible differences in my modest setup but I like knowing the power is as clean as I can make it.

Others may hear or not, differences or not, but that doesn’t bother me so don’t reply expecting any followup. there will always be those who care or dont to try things and see for themselves.

4 Likes

Buy better room treatments. Put your money where it’ll return actual benefits.

3 Likes

Not entirely true. Endpoint / digital transport, for example Lumin, in stock and with a power upgrade, completely different devices in terms of sound quality. In general, you’ll experience more clarity, tighter bass, more detail, better dynamics, natural voices, better soundstage etc. If you connect the DAC directly to the Nucleus, then the power supply will give the same noticeable increase, if you use it as a only Roon server, it will also be, but less noticeable.

3 Likes

Hello Jeff_S,
I am currently using a Keces P8, 19V, single output Linear Power Supply to power my Roon Nucleus Plus music server which connects to Bricasti M12 DAC, a Roon endpoint, using ethernet transport. I compared it with Teddy Pardo Linear Power Supply and I liked P8 better for it’s punch and better dynamics. I am reading a lot of good reviews about this Farad unit and I wanted to find out if your Farad is Powering Roon Nucleus that is connected to the DAC directly or you are using the Nucleus as a dedicated music server, same as how I am using it?
Thanks.

1 Like

I think that it depends on where your roon vs where your dac and amplifier are located, and even then I would think it would be hard to differentiate. Especially for older individuals like I am becoming ,where hearing loss occurs.

Now I am an IT person, data centre to vms for 30+ years.

Now my roon is in my “data center” with my managed switch, computers and hard drive storage. I use many hard drives as they are more than capable of streaming HD audio or video, and I’m thrifty.

my end point are in my rooms, with amplifiers and or speakers, nothing else. A couple rooms have TVs which of course produce lots of emi due the leds. A good power bar that reduces emi and ferrite beads for all devices helps a little.

in my ‘data centre’ I have storage for local music, my roon which I use tidal run by roon. VM’s for work and other related tasks.
I use a managed switch, so I can see the tcp/ip packet errors on receive and send if I think I’m having issue, don’t use it for QOS as my network is to small. The tcp/ip errors are almost non existent as I dont have any wiring issues. I use Google mesh (older model) for my wifi, again it shows almost no errors.

the network protocol and tcp/ip checksum guarantee the the digital files are copied across my network with out any errors.

Now these files come from data centers with large numbers of spinning disk and servers and UPS and switches and … that all produce lots of EMI. These files come through many routers all passing on the packets without error, and if there is an error they quickly resend the packets again.

That digital file goes all the way from source data center with a lot more emi than any of our small devices, with the file being a fully digital exact copy without error until it reaches one of our DACs. The equipment that is near a dac or audio amplifier can influence the sound a little bit.

So I would only spend money protecting the EMI or ambient noise (eg/fan power supply running) if your “digital equipment” is near your dac or amplifier, otherwise your wasting your money in my experience.

put your money into a better DAC as they can be very expensive and have different sounds based on their engineering or put your money into speakers again they will also have a greater impact on the sound by the speaker engineering.

5 Likes

Hello Indranil_Sen

I am not sure why you wanna know the difference in use? From the Nucleus Plus, direct to my DAC or as a dedicated music server. The outcome for the Farad PSU will be the same, right?
Here the Nucleus Plus is connected to a Melco S100 switch and the same switch is connected to the dCS Rossini Player/DAC.
So if you wanna call this a dedicated music server.

Please let me know why you see a difference here for the Farad? Just curious.

Hello Jeff_S/joe_comeau,
Thanks for your feedback, appreciate it. From a Farad perspective it wouldn’t make any difference as to where in the chain it is placed. However my case is a little different. I am already using a Linear Power Supply Keces P8 with Nucleus + which connects to My Bricasti M12 through an audiophile switch EthgerRegen, very similar to your layout. I have read various comments that Farad Linear Power supply in general sounds better than Keces and I was trying to evaluate if is true then how much difference that delta would matter when I am powering a music server that is not directly connected to a DAC. Likely not much but as it is in the audio nothing could be ruled out theoretically without trying it in your system. So I was trying to find out if someone compared the performance of Farad with P8 in a similar situation like me.
Thanks.

Hello Indranil_Sen,

OK, this makes sense and now I got you.
The answer can be very short. In the same situation I was running a Keces P8 and replaced it by the Farad and the result was…. a big difference in the well known expressions. Blacker background or more quiet, more details etc. I have to admit I took the upgraded version to test it. The upgraded version of the power cord, DC cable of 1.5 meter (copper version, the silver one was to harsh in my system), Orange Fuse and Furutech connection. All together the price went up pretty strong, be aware of that :wink:

I wrote this many times before, so again. All those upgrades means nothing if your system is not worth of doing so. The higher the quality of the total system, the bigger the differences between components or cables will be noticed (unfortunately).

Not to show off, just for your information.
Dan D’Agostino Progression pré and main amplifiers
Magico M2 speakers
dCS Rossini Player/DAC and Clock
Transparent Reference power cables and interlinks ánd Power Isolator
Crystal Cable Reference Diamond speaker kabels
Melco S100 switch at the set with separate S Booster PSU
Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch at my modem
AudioQuest Diamond UTP cables
Upgraded version of the Farad PSU
Probably I forgot something :joy:

Just try it yourself and let me know what your thoughts are?

1 Like

Hello Jeff_S,
Thanks for your feedback. I do have a decent revealing system and I would try the Farad Power supply just to try it in my set up. I have full Bricasti set of electronics starting with M12 driving M28 mono block amplifiers. I am using a managed audiophile switch EtherRegen between my router and Bricasti DAC/Nucleus Plus which are connected with well made Audio Sensibility Ethernet cables. My floor-standing speakers are Aerials Mosel-7T and I use Nordost/Audio Sensibility cables all through my system. Beside that I have two dedicated 20 Amp/10 gauge circuits and Furutech GTX-D NCF(R) receptacles feeding the entire two channel system. I also have room acoustics. Currently I am using Nordost Heimdall-II power cable to power the Keces P8, which I intend to use with Farad. I am using a well built Audio Sensibility DC cable with P8 and I intend to use similar DC cable with Farad. My system has been very revealing (not comparing with you and I believe you have a wonderful set-up) so far and I expect to hear the difference with Farad almost immediately if there is a difference. I would keep you in the loop. I will get the Farad loaded definitely with Furutch endpoint and may be with the Orange fuse. Did you notice a break in period with Farad?
Thanks.

Hello Jeff_S,
I have received my Farad linear power supply unit today. It has a Synergistic Orange fuse in it. Did you feel the sound to be a tad bright or on the brighter side in your system with the synergistic research fuse? My unit sounds very bright because it is brand new but I am hoping that the break in process will mellow all the harshness. Please let me know your experience.
Thanks.

Hello Indranil,

Sorry for my late reply to your set but a new job consumes quite some time :wink:
Sounds like a well chosen system and I can imagine how well it sounds.

I can’t tell you the difference with the fuse as I ordered the Farad unit with the Furutech inlet connection and Orange fuse. I did test the standard DC and AC cable with the upgraded versions.
The standard DC is not bad, the upgraded version in Silver was to bright/harsh to my system but the upgraded copper one was more relaxed and a better fit to the system.

You wrote this 2 days ago and I wonder or there has been any change since you wrote your first impression?

Hello Jeff,
Thanks for your feedback. Yes there is a change in the sound signature as I am running the digital chain 12~16 hrs everyday. The harshness has definitely reduced and the soundstage started to open up very slowly. The Farad unit, very similar to your unit with Furutech inlet and the orange fuse sounds better, there is no doubt about it. Currently it is going through the expected break-in period and it would take at least a week to get to a. point where I can do some serious listening.
I am currently using a Nordost Heimdall II power cable and the stock DC cable with the Farad unit. I have ordered an AudioSensibility Statement power cable and their Signature DC cable which would replace the current pair of power cables. Once all these components complete breaking in then I would be able to comment on the overall impact of adding the Farad unit in my digital chain. I wish that buying audiophile electronics would be a lot easier process for all of us….