Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

Quite. I can’t really see the benefits of paying £16.5k for a 60kg plywood box, but I haven’t tried one, so what would I know :wink:

1 Like

Not just a plywood box, you get some dirt too:

6 Likes

This product is plumbing the depths of depravity.

I’ll stick with my 0.1 ohm mains supply Zs…

5 Likes

One of those snake oil threads from people who have never tried the product :laughing:

You guys are missing out big time.

Anyway, carry on . .

1 Like

This PureDC-B1 battery supply looks interesting.

Has anyone tried it for a roon nucleus, streamer, or switch?

1 Like

Are you serious? Do some proper research on earthing. Electrical engineers have been concerned with proper earthing for longer than you’ve been breathing.

You can talk the talk, let’s see you walk the walk. Subjective “I can clearly hear the difference” accounts of audible improvements won’t wash. Real improvements are measurable. Imaginary improvements are not. Let’s see some objective evidence.

I have a Philosopher’s stone. It turns base metals into gold. I’m not going to provide any objective evidence that it works. You’re just going to have to trust me.

A LPS does sound differently. It’s more a matter if needed or someone willing to take that route.

1 Like

Markus, you have no idea what you’re talking about and are simply perpetuating an age-old audiophile myth which has been debunked time and time again.

A well designed SMPS bests the best LMPS. Hands down. Why? Because in a well-designed SMPS, the noise is so far out of the audio band, even bats couldn’t hear it…

Stop comparing £5 wallwarts with £500 LPS.

From the makers of the lowest noise, lowest distortion power amps on the planet (No, Devialet doesn’t even come close):

" The AHB2 is a linear power amplifier with switch-mode power supplies. To the best of our knowledge, it has the highest SNR of any audio power amplifier. The A-weighted SNR is 132 dB in stereo mode and 135 dB in mono mode. This is 15 to 30 dB better than most of the best power amplifiers. This low-noise performance would not have been possible with a linear power supply. A linear power supply would have created strong line-frequency magnetic fields that would have created low-level line-related hum and buzz. This magnetically-induced line-related interference limits the noise performance of most power amplifiers."

3 Likes

The last time I tried an LPS it did sound different - it had a 60Hz buzz audible from my listening chair :).

2 Likes

You’re absolutely wrong. There’s a lot of people with high resolving systems that can attest it’s actually 50Hz.

3 Likes

It didn’t know the right words…but probably a DC offset on your mains power - you probably should try a DC blocker

They must live in the UK or other country with 50Hz AC. Its is 60Hz here in North America.

This was a long time ago when I was trying an LPS with my Squeeebox Touch.

DC blockers can be effective if you have toroidal transformer hum as a mains DC offset can saturate the core.

Not so much of an issue with E/I laminated transformers.

Linear Power Supplies can be guilty of letting 50/60 (line frequency) & 100/120 Hz (2 x line frequency from rectification) hum through on the supply and also by magnetic coupling from the transformer to other components. Toroids are better here than E/I laminated transformers. Rectification diodes can also cause a lot of noise as they turn on and off.

Well designed SMPS don’t have these issues.

It’s about time people let go of the myths of linear Power supplies.

I’m sure most of those who believe in them don’t understand how the the two different supplies actually work.

1 Like

A good PSU is a good PSU. It’s type is irrelevant. But we also need to recognise why manufacturers choose wall wart SMPU’s. And the reasons are cost, weight and regulatory simplification. And there are well documented examples where they have not made wise product choices, going for cost over performance resulting in unforeseen issues.

2 Likes

Yes Henry, I agree with most of your points. One you missed though is that many well designed devices don’t actually need fancy PSUs.

ASR has conducted tests of so-called audiophile PSUs and found no improvement in noise compared to the stock power supply. In some cases the audiophile supplies can make matters worse.

Whatever people’s opinion of ASR, you can’t argue with the test results.

1 Like

You can always argue with their results! :wink: In fact the site itself absolutely relies on the generation of vigorous discourse on other sites even it tends to be stifled there. I personally think there is nothing controversial about the notion a PSU can change the sound of certain products. My issue with ASR is that he refuses to correlate results with listening tests. So the DAC I own that ranks highest on his site (AK chipped Topping D70) is not as good as my Teac DAC with the same chipset. The reason is extraneous to the DAC chipset and isn’t considered in the test results. For clarity I use the variable output and the Teac is a lot better in that mode but was over three times the price. I’ll also admit my original professional background was calibration of test gear in the audio band (up to 100khz). So I do have my own reasons for not putting all my trust in ASR results. They serve a purpose but they are one tool out of many we should consider. And I’ll admit that his endorsement of the Spring 3 did influence my interest in that DAC.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree. I do take issue with the widely held belief that indiscriminately adding a LPS to anything in the audio chain can reap sonic rewards.

We should be less „hardliner approach“ here. I was just saying PSUs do make a difference - and if someone is willing to invest in a good SMPS is great too. I own the iFi iPower Elite which is doing really a nice job.

But it seems no matter if people provide their personal insights based on decades of experience - and saying a PSU, a DAC etc does make a difference they somehow get offended this is nonsense and ASR inevitably is the only trustworthy source and telling the truth.

3 Likes

Markus, if you want to be less “hardliner approach”, well, that’s a pretty invidious caricature you just painted of those who are simply looking for actual data instead of anecdotes.