Best music streamer without DAC

You can’t measure sound quality. That can only be done by listening. A great listening experience has a lot to do with the subtleties that measurements can’t measure or explain.

1 Like

Keep tellin’ yourself that, Neil!

What’s with this responding to months-old posts that’s suddenly happening?

I would add a lot of those subtleties have nothing to do with the equipment either. You the listener are a factor, :grinning:

Good listening days, bad listening days, average listening days. Mood makes a difference.

2 Likes

Again, this was all six months ago. Do we really need to bring this thread to life again?

There are hundreds of threads on the Roon Community forums. It’s an interesting topic for other users.

2 Likes

I’ve tried a number of streamers without DAC, often called a Network Bridge.

I would rank as follows with a mark out of 10 to show how close they are in SQ-

1. SOtM SMS-200 ultra NEO with SOtM sPS-500 power supply and SOtM sCLK-OCX10 (10/10)

2. as above but with no external clock (9.5/10)

3. Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (9.2/10).
    =3. Stack Audio Link 2 (not tested with its separate PS) (9.2/10)
    =3. SOtM as above but no clock nor separate power supply. (9.2/10)
    =3. Auralic Aries G1 (9.2/10)

4. Chromecast Audio - can be wired via ethernet through adaptor (8/10)
    =4. Home made Pi (8/10)

I would always recommend hard wiring with Ethernet. All of these that I tested with wifi sounded worse on WiFi. In fact the stream box SQ improved by simply turning the WiFi option off in the menu.

My own view is that DACs make more of a difference for the money. DAC performance on the same scale that I have had in my system would be like this: Chromecast Audio as a DAC I would give a 2/10 compared to the best I’ve heard in my system at 10, a Chord Qutest at 7, and a Pro-ject USB Dac S+ and a Topping at 5.

With a £2k-£7k digital front-end budget, say, I’d stick to the Pro-ject Streambox s2 ultra (£600) and invest the rest in the DAC.

Having said that you do get a lot more differential between amps and even more so between speakers than DACs. So worth sorting those first.

3 Likes

The correct answer is the HiFiBerry DIGI+ PRO. You can get one set up for 150ish bucks. Its amazing for what it is. I love mine way more than Allo’s stuff. The next jump from there is Sonore Ultra Rendu IMO

I haven’t read all 47 previous posts, but oh boy it’s heated.

Not sure if someone has already mentioned this quite as bluntly as I am about to, and I mean no offence by it. These are my views.

What sound good to me may sound garbage to others.

Audiophiles (no offence) are a small number when compared to the larger groups that would class themselves as music lovers or the occasional music listener.

I am a music lover, but have invested ££££’s over the years and TBH wish I hadn’t.

My current system is a hodgepodge of kit and I also have several Apple HomePods. Yes, I really do and no, I do not like them but they serve a purpose with my Apple TV 4K.

Some of you will laugh at my current system, while I do not care. I like the way it sounds. I enjoy my love of music using it. Here goes……

I’ll start with the amplifier
Cyrus Pre-X pre amp (15 years old)
2 of Cyrus Smartpowers in mono (15 years old)

DAC
SMSL SU-8

Streamers (I swap between 3)
RPi4 with Volumio (via USB)
or
An Awow NUC style pc running Roon Rock (either to RPi4 as endpoint or direct to DAC with USB)
or
Amazon Echo Link

Speakers (here it comes), I swap between 2 pairs
Wharfedale Diamond 9.1’s
or
Roth Audio OLI RA1

I use to have a pair (jointly owned with my brother) of ATC SCM150A’s which are mind blowing speakers. I just lacked the grand hall to have them and sold them and bought a car.

Through my 25 years of having the pleasure of buying my own kit I have come to the conclusion. Sound is subjective to the individual.

Equipment designers/technicians/engineers all make the kit they have a part in producing sound how they like. Measurements are like reading the back of a book to see what it might be like. Listening is believing.

I’m have partial hearing loss through work and tinnitus to boot. Lucky me.

I listen to music at around 80-85dB and don’t need monster expensive kit.

Asking others for their opinions of streamers, DACs and asking them to compare them to others is a little dangerous, as you may buy a £5K streamer and find it sound crap to you. Most dealers selling this high end kit should offer home trials.

Buy with your ears please.

Edit: forgot to mention. I use Spotify as well as Tidal

1 Like

Is Roon a requirement for the streamer you choose? I have streams that can use Roon, and those that are not Roon RAAT compatible.

For pure SQ, I don’t use Roon, although Roon UI is light years ahead of the competition.