Best OS for main remote unit

Hi. I am thinking of the optimal controller unit (fixed big screen unit on the wall). I really dont need anything but a touch activated big screen. I think the best “remote GUI” from a user experience point of view is Windows atm. I like it better then the Android and iOS that I also use. On Android and iOS devices it goes into sleep mode, looses network connectivity, needs wake up etc. I just want to tap the screen and boom its there. I also want good graphics, big screen etc. I dont need it to be a server or bridge, just remote. I don not want Windows 10 features like mail and stuff popping up all the time. Just an OS with Roon GUI on autostart. Is Windows Server Core an option? Same kernel as Win10 but without all the bling. I read some in the forum about using it as a bridge, but my interest is as remote. Some Linux distro would also be ok but there is noone for this role as I know of.

I have several devices I use for remote control. One is the IPAD 12.9, with it and several other tablet styles Roon has a keep awake option in settings. With Roon in the foreground it stays awake. With roon moved to the background it will use the option set in the device.

I have a USB-C adapter that will connect HDMI to my big screen, Ethernet and charging at the same time.

I don’t have a problem using Linux for that task (see also this thread and this post).

Notes:

The display of times might be off in Roon on Wine, because different time handling between Linux and Windows/Wine, but this was never a real issue for me.

That is a feature I don’t use – you might have to figure out how to do that on your own or with the help of others.

Thanks Mike. I dont use an iPad atm, the one I have is to old to even try. My Android tablet goes to sleep and I am always met by 5 seconds “Lost connection! Trying to reconnect” in the Roon GUI. Maybe iPad is better, or some other Android Tablets, I have some cheap Lenovo. I guess it would be better with a USB-C network adapter but they are hard to come by, those who charges and brings ethernet at the same time. And the screens are to small. I want 24+ inch for optimal GUI.

Check Roon settings for the Keep Awake option with the tablet. I didn’t know it was available until someone on this forum mentioned it. it might provide you with some relief, if it is available, while you decide on something else…

This works also (for me) on Adroid.

My best and excellent control device is a Dell XPS 15 laptop.

I found the little switch, thanks will help alot.

BlackJack, which download are you using for Roon Remote on Linux? https://roonlabs.com/downloads

You can try https://github.com/RoPieee/roon-on-wine this script should download the right installer. If you want/have to do a manual install, use one of the Windows Roon installers.

grafik