Best Power Source for Pi4 running RoPieee

@David_Gibson interesting. I am noticing a difference when using a powerbank with my Rpi vs wallwart.

If you don’t see a difference went use the Shanti at all?

1 Like

Thanks again, but not interested in other products, as I have a DAC and I want a Shanti for my Rpi.

You must remember that all conductors are also antennas. Nothing prevents high-frequency interference from nearby wifi from penetrating into the path up to the DAC and further into the analog circuits.

The absence of galvanic isolation creates zero problems in case of correctly organized power supply to the system components. Unlike wifi.
Using RPi4 working as a roon bridge I hear a noticeable improvement in sound with wired connection and disabled wifi against wifi connection. The same as when replacing a standard switching power supply with a high-quality linear one.
Also, if you read Roon recommendations, you will see that they recommend a completely wired path from the server to the end point. Wifi connection is recommended only for control devices.

All noise from the power supply is also present on the USB and other digital outputs and is further distributed throughout the entire chain along with the signal. That is why high-quality power supply, even in case of a purely digital source, just as important.

1 Like

Two reasons; first, I don’t really like wall warts. They’re a pain and they’re ugly. Second, I got sucked into the linear power supply snake oil. I have several and have never heard a difference.

1 Like

There’s truth to the first sentence, but you’re spreading the typical audiophile myths with the rest of your posts, since, as there are EMC (electro magnetic compatibility) standards in place, equipment manufacturers are usually testing for compliance and therefore also need to implement filtering and bandwidth limiting measures, especially in analog amplification stages, which, if not done properly, would suffer output latching and other audible problems.

These standards are aimed primarily at meeting medical requirements, as well as at not interfering with the normal operation of communications and radar. And they don’t care at all about the quality of the sound as long as it can be played at all.
Many people who have fairly high-quality audio equipment have noticed that music sounds better at night. This is precisely because at this time there is less working industrial equipment, communications equipment and other things that create interference and affect the sound quality.

This.

Peer reviewed evidence please.

Having more than 10 years of experience as a sound engineer in a recording studio, as well as experience in designing and building recording studios, I can sufficiently trust my ears and experience.

All I can add is that if you don’t hear the difference, then you are a happy person. You don’t have to spend extra money on extra hardware. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, this is simply not true.
To bring to market any goods in Europe, i.e., CE marking is mandatory.
Therefore, every electrical equipment needs to conform to a plethora of EMC standards, medical devices do have additional personal safety requirements.

Of course, this has nothing to do with sound, but with proper functioning under the influence, and the emission, of EMI.

I did work in an electronics R&D department in my professional career and witnessed such testing in accredited laboratories.

More unsubstantiated audiophile myth spreading.

Anecdotal evidence doesn’t cut it anymore these days.

1 Like

Except in audio discussion where personal anecdotes override well established science and engineering. :rofl:

1 Like

Your reply needs to be explained to me in technical terms. I am an IT guy, with some knowledge about networking. Suppose I would connect a Networking Switch to a power source which has that kind of disturbance. Yay! (and this is a big YAY!), this has no effect on the data passing through the switch. If that were the case, or, in technical terms, the 1’s would become 0’s and visa versa based on the power supply, we wouldn’t have Internet.

The exact same thing is happening when that data is passed on through the Rasp. Pi to the DAC. If you can explain the disturbance passing through to the DAC and even your ears in technical terms, then please enlighten me. I’m all “ears”. And yes, I’m skeptical, but I could be wrong and I’m not afraid to admit my mistake. :wink:

1 Like