Best practices for keeping the size of the Roon database to a minimum

My Roon Core is running on a music server equipped with a 24GB SLC mSATA SSD. I need suggestions how to reduce, as much as possible the size of the Roon database; drive space is at near capacity.

Thank you,

Mike

You may need to restore it to a bigger disc. It’s the heart of your Roon system

Hi Chris - Can Roon’s database be stored on a separate external ssd? The fastest external connection the music server has is USB 3.0.

Thanks,

Mike

It has to be on the system disk.

What OS? You might be able to move the database to another location and create a link so the path stays the same.

There currently are no options to reduce the size of the database. As a drastic measure you could delete the images folder. It’s by far the largest of everything but the images make up a large part of the value in Roon…and it would likely repopulate over time.

Best to backup to multiple destinations, install a larger drive and restore.

On going, the only way to keep the db from growing is to not add anything to it. Not very practical but the primary target market doesn’t know about nor want to know about db maintenance and thus there is no option to maintain or cleanup, at all.

24GB is too small for just about any OS these days…even worse if you are running an app with a very large database.

The solution here is not reducing the size of the database…it is getting a properly sized mSATA SSD.

2 Likes

The db size is “ directly proportional “ to the library size, it holds all the pertinent metadata, the only way to minimize is not to have a library ! Kinda defeats the object a little

Even Tidal albums added to your library add content

The advise above is the answer a 120 or better a 250 SSD

You can use symbolic links to point to another drive regardless of OS. You’d have to stop Roon, move the entire data directory tree to a new, larger SSD and create a symbolic link with the name of the folder you moved, pointing to the new destination.

1 Like

The symbolic link suggested above is the most complete solution. Alternatively, if the images cause the size of the database, then you can try deleting them and minimizing the memory allocated to the images.

These settings affects system memory (RAM) not the SSD.

While this may be true this saddens me, I still remember the feeling of endless possibility when I upgraded our family computer from a 400mb hdd to a 1GB one. It’s 64k of ram all over again.

Back on topic, as others have said you can just move the roon install folder to another drive and symlink the original location to the new. Short of that If you were exporting backups to the main disk, put those somewhere else.

A lightweight Linux shouldn’t take up more than a gig or so of storage leaving plenty left over for roon.

I remember when I was content with a 140KB 5.25" floppy disk…

1 Like

These are client-only settings. No impact on the db on the server/core.

Luxury … we’re heading Monty Python wards …

1 Like

It really is, niche cases aside

I refuse to believe :slight_smile:

Non crazy operating systems still exist, and when I was a boy, they needed a fraction of this.

oddi$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd0a     1005M    103M    851M    11%    /
/dev/sd0k      7.0G   29.4M    6.6G     0%    /home
/dev/sd0d      1.5G    8.0K    1.4G     0%    /tmp
/dev/sd0f      2.3G    1.2G   1023M    54%    /usr
/dev/sd0g      903M    243M    616M    28%    /usr/X11R6
/dev/sd0h      3.6G    600M    2.8G    17%    /usr/local
/dev/sd0j      5.6G    2.0K    5.3G     0%    /usr/obj
/dev/sd0i      1.6G    2.0K    1.5G     0%    /usr/src
/dev/sd0e      2.3G   43.7M    2.1G     2%    /var

and

ovo$ df -h
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd3a      986M    469M    468M    50%    /
/dev/sd3l      295G    8.5M    281G     0%    /home
/dev/sd3d      3.9G   14.0K    3.7G     0%    /tmp
/dev/sd3f      5.8G    1.1G    4.4G    20%    /usr
/dev/sd3g      986M    234M    702M    25%    /usr/X11R6
/dev/sd3h     19.4G    765M   17.7G     4%    /usr/local
/dev/sd3k      5.8G    2.0K    5.5G     0%    /usr/obj
/dev/sd3j      1.9G    2.0K    1.8G     0%    /usr/src
/dev/sd3e     34.4G   38.2M   32.6G     0%    /var
/dev/sd4a      2.7T    654G    1.9T    25%    /mnt/r
1 Like

Maybe there are a lot of .png files. These sort of files consumes a lot more discspace than jpg-files. They are about 6-8 times larger!

Thank you very much for the information. I’ll look for large “.png” files but I don’t understand how the removal of these files from my external storage will affect the size of the Roon database contained on my media servers 24GB SSD.

I found them in the DB.