Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

One of my absolute favourites is “Live In Europe” by Melody Gardot

What is your favourites?

30 Likes

Sorry, I can’t help. I buy CDs by musical quality not as a equiment test kit.

6 Likes

Me too :slight_smile: But I still have my favourite SQ CD’s :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Best CD is a record……

7 Likes

I listened to a 160,000 Euro speaker system today at a HiFi dealer. The brand new flagship speaker by a German manufacturer. Connected to an extremely expensive system.
The system was so poorly setup, even the best sounding records sounded aweful. It always seemed too loud, no separation, no center image, no soundstage, boomy, etc. - my friends and I didn’t want to finish one song…
We were allowed to move the speakers, changed the speaker placement quite substantial and the sound improved a lot.

Still, it was not near how a good set up system costing a fraction can sound. I felt really sorry for the manufacturer - they put everything in their product and the dealer is not able to deliver the potential to the customers. Disappointing.

Anyhow, some of the many „best sounding records“ (Roon/Qobuz) we used songs from today:
Rock Candy Funk Party - Live at the Iridium
Warren Wolf - Reincarnation
Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Jerome Kern Song Book
Tool - Fear Inoculum
The Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
Lee Ritenour - Rhythm Sessions

7 Likes

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live

The 5.1 SACD (or even DVD) is sublime, even just the stereo version is fantastic.

11 Likes

Wow, just Wow! Added@qobuz and 5.1 DVD is on Order! Great Recommendtion, reminds me of another one i get thru Roon Playlists last year: Sarah Jarosz with “World on the Ground”, the Titel was “Orange and Blue”.

This is why i love such recommendations like in this thread here or the Roon Playlists: Hearing a good, well produce song, digging deeper and maybe ending up loving the whole cataloque of the artist as it was for me with Sarah Jarosz.

I’m not into bluegrass, nor am i into Folk/Americana, but i am musicwise Open Minded, hearing good music, a great song may drove me into the work of an artist and/or a whole new category which i might love.

Thanks!

9 Likes

Too many to note. Here are a few great ones.

Patricia Barber Café Blue

Gillian Welch The Harrow and the Harvest

Bach Collegium Japan

Dylan Rough and Rowdy Ways

7 Likes

Great music and SQ :slight_smile:

Not for those of us that think that vinyl is a pain in the butt and just not worth the effort for those few albums that are better enough to matter…

19 Likes

It’s like, I’m going to rip the A/C out of my car so I can revisit the “good old days.” No thanks.

10 Likes

If you want to play a record with some quality, you have to compensate for all the physical problems.
Wow, flutter, dust, rumble to name some.
No thank you!

6 Likes

I think a comment like this will not get many thumbs up in a Roon forum. Vinyl is way overrated.

19 Likes

It’s not natural but for those who appreciate a very wide image

11 Likes

Maybe you need to search “vinyl” here first😉

You might just be surprised.

But I digress and let’s leave it at that so we don’t delve into off topic realms.

2 Likes

Great music and SQ :slight_smile:

11 Likes

And finding the damn thing in a collection of over 2000 discs…

Found this recently…

https://open.qobuz.com/album/0884977787962

11 Likes

Great recording :slight_smile: THX

1 Like

Got plenty others, but on the classical side (Baroque or Romantic or movie) ; I am keen on discovering vocal jazz ones though…

1 Like