Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

For example this one is gorgeous…

https://open.qobuz.com/album/shjwpc0wmtjla

4 Likes

Then give this recording a try:

4 Likes

Best drum sound you’ve ever heard
Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 10.42.09

Classical Vocal
Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 14.59.00

and of course, the obligatory RR

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 15.00.32

5 Likes

Then try this…great recording and incomparable vocals and arrangements
Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 15.02.23

8 Likes

The dvd audio versions of the workingmans dead and American beauty

4 Likes

The SQ on this is spectacular - and the music is quite unlike anything else I have heard in a long lifetime of jazz listening. Hino’s most brilliant moment, maybe.

“Hogiuta” by Terumasa Hino, on Eastwind Records (Japan). Not crazy hard to find in the US.

6 Likes

I just attended the Munich Audio Show and heard dozens of systems costing in the high fives or low six figure range . Many were demonstrated with turntable , arm , cartridge and phono preamp systems costing a quarter of a million dollars or more . All made the records pops , clicks and assorted vinyl noise sound much clearer and cleaner . One manufacturer of a very expensive optical cartridge was also displaying a device to help correct for the eccentricity of the record hole since all records are punched a varying degree " off center " . I hate to tell you this Garye - - it is akin to telling a kid that Santa Claus ain’t real - - but what you like so much about records is even-ordered harmonic distortion . Go through all the ritual that vinyl lovers so enjoy but as soon as the stylus hits the record you know you are listening to something phony .

2 Likes
  1. I don’t know about “best” because that would mean I’d have to listen to every CD in existence and I simply don’t have the time or means to do that. :smile:

2. “Ever” hasn’t happened yet. :laughing:

However, here are some of my favourite “go-to” CDs that I use for testing speakers, headphones, and players/transports as well as demo’ing audio capabilities to guests. These I am intimately familiar with as I’ve played them A LOT. I also have them ripped to WAV & FLAC of course to audition portable DAPs and the ilk.

14 Likes

One of my personal favourites is Steven Wilson’s “The Future Bites” on blu-ray audio.

10 Likes

Funnily enough an old recording - My Way - The very best of Frank Sinatra. Just shows that if music is recorded and mastered well CDs still cut it IMHO.

2 Likes

You do raise a very good point. There is no point in getting the best recording on the best medium, buying the best system and not sorting the room first. I would never judge Hi-Fi at a show.

1 Like

See also Blue heron suite. Sounds live in studio.

2 Likes

Two of my faves for sound quality:
The Flat Earth-Thomas Dolby
Security-PGabriel

4 Likes

One of my best sound recordings is the SHM SACD of “Sticky Fingers”:

6 Likes

Check out Lyle Lovett : Live in Texas.
I love the whole album, but check out “North Dakota”.
Very well recorded.

5 Likes

Another beautifully recorded album.
Favorite track is #1 : Dancing with You
Check it out!

4 Likes

Another well recorded album.
Check out track #11 : Despertar
You won’t be disappointed!

8 Likes

A great multichannel recording. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m not a blues fan by any means but years ago I picked up vinyl by lightning Hopkins titled lightning strikes. Apparently there are two albums with this title but this one was recorded in oct 4-5 1965. It is the best sounding sq wise piece of music that I own regardless of format. It dynamic, vibrant and just so well recorded.

8 Likes

For beautifully recorded percussion music, check out Smoke & Mirrors Ensemble on Yarlung Records:

Don’t miss track 2, Steve Reich’s Music for Pieces of Wood:

Track 2, Juego de Relojes, is surprising:

6 Likes