Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

Just great - THX :slight_smile:

THX :slight_smile:

Yes, good source material produced in any room will be everything for reproduced sound quality. Then IMHO, no matter how much glittering bling & fancy tricks upstream - it’s all about proper set-up & room tuning. It’s a tough chore going into a hotel bedroom, suite, or flexi-wall function room.getting anything near to optimum sound quality. In home demo required if you are budget concious - - really, at any level of expenditure!

1 Like

3 Likes

BTW:

One CAN be happy listening to lovely music in several formats, e.g. vinyl AND streaming from whatever source.
:wink:

5 Likes

If you are interested in high quality jazz vocal recordings, I’d recommend checking these out:

Ella & Louis: Open Qobuz
Ella & Louis Again: Open Qobuz

Pretty much anything recorded by Ella on Verve in hi-res.

Also these:

Sarah Vaughan: Open Qobuz
Nina Simone: Open Qobuz

And this by Billie Holiday (again on Verve): Open Qobuz

Billie’s voice was not in great shape at this point, but this is still a great recording and the band is a major asset - again there are several Verve albums from this period that are worth listening to.

Hope that helps you get started.

mark

4 Likes

Didn’t know the first two. Great stuff. Thank you for the tip.

1 Like

Best? Choose for your self :wink:
Here are some nice examples of excellent recordings.

Jazz:

Singer/Songwriter:

New age:

R&B:

Electronic:

and the Queen of the Munich high end show (she also performed live there).

14 Likes

Great stuff :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This album is unfortunately not on Qobuz :frowning:

2 Likes

That is right sorry. Mine is local and it looks like Tidal only.
But all her recordings are great soundwise. Unfortunately most is in Norwegian which can be „strange“ to the ears, I got use to it and for me it is part of her music now.

1 Like

Both of these are wonderful records AND sound sublime:

6 Likes

This might like you…

2 Likes

In my opinion the question is not well asked. In addition to the reproduction material that we have, the quality of the recording and the model of the instruments played enter into the game. One can like a brilliantly played electronic music record, but one cannot compare it to an instrument like the violin for example. Because if we talk about better reproduction we have to compare what is comparable. An electronic instrument that enters directly into the mixing desk is not comparable to the harmonics produced by such and such a usual instrument of a symphonic orchestra, more or less well recorded at a given time, and according to the choices of the mixer who intervenes afterwards. So we can’t answer the question as it is asked. On the other hand, we can express which record is the best for our ears, taking into account of course our own listening material and the adaptation - or not - of the listening room. Thanks.

2 Likes

@Torben_Rick Yes, she is great ! :slight_smile: (Kari Bremnes)

1 Like

@Torben_Rick And thanks for recommending this Melody Gardot Album. I didn’t plan to hear it because I have a lot of her records. It seems to me she sings always the same way. This one is really more dynamic with a great orchestra at her side.

1 Like

Love the question. I think “Nameless” by Dominique Fils-Aimé is a fine recording. I also love “Raconte-moi…” by Stacey Kent, “On Every Street” by Dire Straits, any of the 30th or 40th Anniversary reissues by Bob Marley & The Wailers, “Take to the Sky” by Kat Edmonson, and “My Romance” by Kevin Mahogany. All are available on Qobuz.

4 Likes

Yes :slight_smile: Great stuff

8 Likes

I need to find where to buy Kari Bremnes “Norwegian Mood” - HiRes would be great. Let’s see if I can find the album

I have both the 192x24 FLAC and this OMR recording. Both are excellent.

I only have the CD, but the sound quality is top shelf.

This one might be tougher to find. Look into Octave Records. Much of their music is dull (hard to tap your foot to) but this one works for me. Excellent recording. This is a DSD64 recording.

I’m surprised this one hasn’t been listed yet. Great recording and even better music. I only have the CD version.

10 Likes