Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

A little different genre but all great recordings…

I have the above in DSD64. Really good recording as is the music too.

I only have the CD, but it’s still an excellent recording, musically not quite as good as other Garcia/Grisman records, but still good.

Something totally different…

This is another Octave Recording (DSD64) and musically arguably they’re very best so far.

Again another direction switch…

A really good recording (I have the 96x24 FLAC) and really love the music here too.

9 Likes

2 favorites from Switzerland.

2 Likes

RoonShareImage-637910811782473714

A great album and sounds fantastic.

6 Likes

I have several of their CDs, and the Otis Taylor is the only one I fund memorable. Often Octave seems to be crafted recordings of bland music.

11 Likes

8 Likes

@Torben_Rick

1 Like

This Octave recording of Bach’s Cello Suites by Zuill Bailey is superb

Bach Cello Suites – PS Audio

5 Likes

Great recordings. I love Folk Singer (my favorite version is the Acoustics Sounds 45rpm vinyl). I hadn’t heard “Alone & Acoustic” before and really like it. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

Thanks KDM :slight_smile:

I second that, great recording but especially this one is hard to get and expensive. All dmp recordings are exceptionally good. Other CDs are cheaper and easier to get e.g. the Thom Rotella stuff.
Here is a list:

3 Likes

Mixture of world music and jazz:
Zakir Hussain, Jan Gebarek and John Mc Laughlin

Also basically all recordings from ecm are great to exceptional.

5 Likes

A ton of great musicians helping out, including Aaron Neville, Michael Landau, Dean Parks, Lee Sklar, Russ Kunkel, Brian Wilson, and the Tower of Power horns. Brilliantly produced by Peter Asher, this was a sonic revelation for me in the late 80s, and still holds up well today.I believe that a 192/24 version was issued by Rhino, but I haven’t heard that.

6 Likes

Sara K. - Water Falls - 24bit/44.1kHz. Stockfisch-Records and Sara K :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I don’t want to be that guy.
But that is not CD :scream_cat: 16/44 and all that :see_no_evil:

Ok, Stockfish records, very popular by audiophiles in Germany.
If Kari Bremnes is the Queen of the Munich high end show than Allan Taylor is the King. He also played live there and he is also, as Sarah K., at Stockfish records.
These are not the most natural records, everything is a bit over emphasised and pleasing. This is the style of Jens Pauler who recorded many of the Stockfish record. A lot of people do not like this style, but I find it nice to listen to anyway.

2 Likes

If you listen to excellent „old school“ recordings on red book 16/44 CDs you would never thought high res is something one needs. Recording and mastering is way more important than sample rate and bit depth.

7 Likes

Probably 80% of my library is CD quality 16/44 so I fully understand it being good enough.

I was just having fun about the fact that wasn’t cd quality 16/44 but high resolution

1 Like

This is an absolutely fantastic sounding recording - SQ is off the charts.

The Road East Cover

10 Likes

This is a good example: One of the best recorded and engineered classical recordings I have heard recently - especially the quality of the bass and string sections. Amazing in both Hi Res and 16/44.

5 Likes