Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

Everything waterlily do is top for recording quality .

Thanks for reminding me about the Mackerras Mozart symphonies on Telarc, which has a well earned reputation for great sound. Charles Mackerras later re-recorded the late Mozart symphonies on Linn, which feature even better sound quality, and a great performance by the Scottish orchestra.

6 Likes

not a big fan of listening to music cause of the sound, but this one has interesting sounds … and sounds very good :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

The first ever hip hop beat - Man Machine. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Brilliant electronica from Byrne/Eno. 1981?! Amazing

2 Likes

Kraftwerk were a lot firsts. Influenced so many different genres.

1 Like

Reading this thread, it looks like we don’t have a lot of common ground/language on what constitutes or describes “best”, or “best sounding”. Are we speaking plain subjective terms of “oh this sounds nice!”, or something quantifiable like best kept dynamics, or biggest dynamics? Does taste in music play any part in this?

Rhetorical comment. :wink:

I see a lot of remasters as being part of the list and if there is something they almost all generally has in common: They sound objectively worse than the original recordings, at least if looking at keeping dynamics intact. But of course, one can always prefer a remaster based on “oh this sounds nice”.

2 Likes

@Martin_Friberg
I agree . Remasters that improve with any degree of consistency are those by Steven Wilson, a lot of remasters are just part of the loudness wars are are just compressed turds

3 Likes

I gave in and finally ordered the Steven Wilson mixes of Ultravox Vienna album last night.
Been looking at it for a while

3 Likes

Wait what when where?

There is a double album of Steven Wilson mixes of the Vienna album. Been in my watch list for a while and now it’s on the way to my house.

Looks like different mixes of the European and US albums in a two disc set

1 Like

I must check that out!

1 Like

That’s exactly what I thought after a nice glass of rum last night :rofl:

6 Likes

Gets mixed reviews on Amazon, does it sound better than the 40th anniversary edition on Tidal?

.sjb

Arriving tomorrow so I will know then as it will be ripped and played.
I have the UK Vinyl, but never had it on CD.
It’s been a long time since I had a record deck to listen to the original though, so it will be more the case of doni still enjoy it and that’s almost certainly a yes :grin:

1 Like

Just got it and ripped it.
The CD is in the player at the moment and a few track’s in and I have to say it sounds great.

The second CD is not the American release as I had read elsewhere, but a bonus CD of content.

1 Like

Beautifully remastered and Pont des Arts is a great test for any system.

Is that why they used to be called “phonygraphs”? Sorry, couldn’t resist. :sweat_smile:

I have some more recommendations. I really dig Steve Tibbetts. I discovered him through the father of a friend who was the first dedicated audiophile I ever met. In 1995 or so he had a very nice setup with some early Martin Logans, Classé Audio preamp with dual monoblocks, and a Cal Labs transport/DAC pair that blew me away. I got some of my first nice gear from him secondhand. As far as I know, Steve is one of the very few artists on ECM that has received Manfred Eicher’s approval to release a recording that was done in their own studio.

Another album that shocked me and introduced me to Bill Frisell (both literally and figuratively) was Eberhard Weber’s Later That Evening. Haunting stuff.

3 Likes

Qobuz

4 Likes