Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

Great SQ and Jazz – Thanks

1 Like

It’s still very good and my favourite PF album to boot :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s absolutely one of mine, too. You surely know that it’s quite controversial among PF aficionados to say this, though! I’ve spent many, many hours with the entire catalog and this one still bubbles to the top for me. Lyrically and musically. Go figure.

1 Like

I’ve always thought this Frisell double album (recorded live across two sessions) sounded fantastic. Very easy to lose a couple of hours listening to it end to end.

7 Likes

I do, but it’s true and that only makes saying it more enjoyable :wink:

2 Likes

The best Pink Floyd album in my opinion….

3 Likes

That’s a new one for me.

I would be on the other side of that. Played the album day it was released and it has never left the record sleeve since.

2 Likes

Fair play, it’d be dull if we all liked all of the same stuff. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So many possibilities

3 Likes

Killdozer, as you know, the album was entirely written by Roger Waters. It was his (obsessive) lament on the death of his father in Italy during WWII when he was a few months old. He had already booted Roger Wright from the group, resented the other members for their lack of creative capacity and contribution, thought of the other three as lazy.

Tthe album’s title not only reflected how he saw the final cut of how his life began, a lost father, a miserable mother, and non-nurturant teachers, but also that it was where he ended Pink Floyd as “creatively dead” …the final cut (for them).

What began with his discontent with life (The Wall), was ended with his “final cut.”

This resulted in the famous lawsuit in which Gilmour sued for, and won, the name of the group and formed Pink Floyd, Ltd.

The cut “Gunner’s Dream” (as I recall…at about 2:40?) Waters sings …“hold onto the dream” where his voice blends into an excellent saxophone solo.

It has to be appreciated, if possible, for what it was intended to convey. He was, and apparently remains, a very unhappy man, many marriages, the least physically attractive of the group, not a musician himself but a lyricist.

1 Like

Thanks for this rec, @cinematic. Great recording and my type of jazz.

1 Like

Simply buy the CD, or just take one of her Norwegian ones e.g. the live album from 2007.
The sound quality of every album is perfect even if it’s not HQ

1 Like

One of my favorites by Pink Floyd as well. It was my favorite “come down” from Hallucinogenics album back when I was young.

1 Like

Ummm…. Wow

@Mike_Rubin
Ah, an aficionado…… :wink: :smile:

Then you might want to try these ones (if you don’t have/know them already.

Tsu

Great 1974 live recording, what can I say, sounds like jazz music played live (you know what I mean), great atmosphere, beautiful recording.

PNG image

A TBM classic.

Misty

And one for the audiophiles, direct to DSD (256)

Enjoy!

3 Likes

@S_Schorr , yes, I know Yamamoto and have the first two of those albums. He’s a bit conservative for my tastes, though. Much prefer Masabumi Kikuchi and Mikio Masada as piano players, but my knowledge of Japanese piano players isn’t so deep.

For SQ, you almost cannot go wrong with Japanese labels. I especially enjoy East Wind and TBM.

@S_Schorr - I can’t find them on Qobuz. Is there a site (www) where the y can be bought in download version?

Thanks

Torben

For those not knowing: The Lost Recordings is an amazing collection, in high-res format.

1 Like

This sounds great on a high quality system! Last time I listened to it was on a cheap car stereo in the 90s.

9 Likes