Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

Don’t think this one is available on any streaming service. You will have to buy the CD !

Hi @bobbmd, this is Jackson Browne’s The Road East - Live in Japan. I don’t think it is on any streaming service - I have the CD.

Speaking In Tongues, Remain In Light, and Little Creatures all stand out to me in terms of good production and high SQ.

4 Likes

Also love the MFSL 45 rpm Vinyls. Wow, that opening guitar of Uncle John’s Band…

@Bill_Janssen I am not jazz afficiando (sic) but it didn’t require a sarcastic response ( what do I know) and it’s damn not something that holds water back-lol

Thanks I will try to track the CD down

1 Like

@Fergus_B thanks for the polite/soft response and I have to sit through the first 6 seasons again as I got my CFO ‘hooked’ on him

1 Like

It’s a shame you perceived that as sarcastic, Bob. I certainly didn’t mean it that way. And I found a new musician as well, this Grace Kelly. Most of the character’s selections are pretty old-school and well known, but Grace is modern.

1 Like

@Bill_Janssen apology accepted but I did say it tongue in cheek but thanks for replying and i will check out this ‘other’ Grace Kelly

1 Like

@Rockhound I found it ordered it on amazon then realized it sounded so good for you because it is a blueray-cd and unfortunately I don’t have a blue ray player so i cancelled it–must sound like my sacd/dvd-audio recordings or better

It is actually on a Blu-Spec 2 CD, which is basically made in a similar way to blu-ray discs but plays just fine in a regular CD player, or rips to FLAC etc. with regular CD ripping software. So you can go ahead and cancel your cancellation.

3 Likes

Do you retain the benfits of the Blu-spec CD if you rip it to flac (or another format)? Just curious.

The alleged benefit is there only when the Blue Spec CD is being read by a CD player. Assuming you get an accurate rip to FLAC, you can’t do better than that.

I would doubt it - and the jury seems to be out on whether there really is any benefit.

There is no doubt…the FLAC file cannot retain a benefit of physical medium.

What are the benefits of a physical CD? Compared to HDD it’s a slow medium with unreliable data transfer.

Edit: Apologies, just read this

Just misunderstood you I guess

1 Like

Yes, they are a fun band!

1 Like

I think the biggest benefit is to Sony as it allows them re-release a bunch of stuff and get more money.

3 Likes

Can we please stop with format discussion and stick to suggestions of best recordings. I do not care about the format they are in as long I can play them in Roon.

Thanks!

7 Likes