Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

There are no audible benefits; it was a marketing gimmick. It’s still 44 kHz 16 bit, and it still uses Reed-Soloman for error correction.

They’ve been around for over a decade and never got traction. I have maybe a couple in my ~1,000 CD collection, of which only two have failed in some way because of manufacturing faults (and they are near 40-year releases.)

and who are you showing me the door?
I am an active participant of this thread by suggesting several great sounding recordings. How many have you posted here?
and I would leave the interpretation of the thread title to the TO who agreed on my statement, which seemed to offended you, by liking it.
Also if you have read the thread, active participants already agreed that mixing and mastering is more important to sound quality of a recording than the format it is presented on.
I have nothing against suggestions of recordings in other maybe better sounding formats, but general discussions about the format is not the place here, in my humble opinion.

1 Like

Well if formats don’t matter and we are looking at the best representation then I reckon you should go see live music

3 Likes

@Gents - please lets get back to some great SQ suggestions :+1::smirk:

5 Likes

On topic:
Great recording (objectively), great music (subjectively):

5 Likes

Great recording and sound :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Stilled & Sound of Silence comes to my mind.

During the lengthy studio sessions, Hollis also made further sonic advancements by placing greater emphasis on acoustic instrumentation and paring recording techniques back to their bare minimum.

“We only used two microphones,” he told Music Minded. “We searched a long time to find the right balance. Recording in its purest form, really, like in the old days. I also very much like the character and realization of acoustical instruments. [I wanted] to let the sound of the room be heard – the production was, in this case, to relax the musicians and give them a chance to find their own interpretations.”

8 Likes

I play the DSD 512 version of Patricia Barber - Higher through my TEAC UD-505 (with external clock :wink:
Download was a bi**h when my Internet was 25/25 over 4G. File size approx. 30GB…
Better now. Since June 10 I have 1000/1000 glass fibre.
Sound quality of this version is extremely airy and emotional.

1 Like

Music wise a bit strange but sounds really good.

Give “Tin Pan Alley” a try from this well recorded CD…
RoonShareImage-637920792276036811

14 Likes

Agreed, brilliant track that sounds fantastic! The hi-res version is also outstanding.

2 Likes

I have the AP SACD of that album. It is a great track…

1 Like

Another great recording in a church (as Body and Soul).

Can be found on Tidal, not on Qobuz.

1 Like

Tiny Island is essentially the band called Needed Time accompanying Eric Bibb on his excellent-sounding recordings for Opus3 Records. Swedish producer/engineer Jan-Eric Persson has created many outstanding stereo and multichannel SACDs, including some current favorites of mine from guitarist Peder af Ugglas.

2 Likes

Should we compile a Qobuz Playlist?

6 Likes

That would be great (to me).

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like