Best sounding CD ever? Best sounding recordings? Best HiFi albums for audiophiles? Best hi-res albums?

Try this album, best guitarist ever, one of best recording albums that I’ve heard. I always use this album as a reference whenever I make changes to my system:

18 Likes

If you’re a fan of Michael Hedges you might also like Antoine Dufour. If you haven’t already come across him …

7 Likes

Three for your consideration:

2 Likes

Great THX :+1:

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/zcdi89F.png

I’ve always liked this album.

2 Likes

But, keeping on the Thread Topic and staying with acoustic guitar, this album is very well recorded, and played.

13 Likes

Superb guitar player… This Live album is outstanding. His best imo…

Shame he died so young.

4 Likes

This is a bit of a ‘cheat’. I ripped the 2-channel 24/192 from the Blu-Ray Audio. So it’s not strictly ‘CD’.

BUT it sounds truly awesome. The surround mix is amazing too.

6 Likes

Nenad Vasilić - Great :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nicolas Parent Tro - Great SQ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to play in HS band with the owner/wife of Candy Rat. Good to see her artists getting talked about.

1 Like

I’m surprised to not see this magnificently recorded CD on this thread.

A Meeting By The River is universally praised for the authenticity and realism of its recording and its 2008 vinyl release is often cited as audiophile-quality reference material. The session was captured using two customised valve mics in a Blumlein-array arrangement into a converted Studer two-track analogue tape recorder and the louder you play it, the more every rattle and scrape of slide on fingerboard and every microtonal flurry draws you into its rarefied, spontaneous atmosphere.

12 Likes

THX - Lucky you :slight_smile: I can’t find it on Qobuz

1 Like

And great playing!

It seems robotic on the surface, but it is actually very human, a fantastic piece of work.

10 Likes

Sorry all, meant to have replied to @Andreas_Philipp1 but it didn’t show my quote.

I’ve had the pleasure to study with Renaud several times over the years, each time more enlightening than the last. A wizard with the bow and a fantastic recording at that.

This was a big one for me. I had discovered ECM while in high school but this was my first “audiophile” CD, recorded very well and released on the B+W label. It was apparently mixed on the Nautilus loudspeakers. There might be some egregious panning effects going on but it still sounds glorious. It was my reference CD for many, many years and everyone that heard it wanted a copy for their showroom.

Another favorite from the incomparable mixture of vibraphone and accordion. Richard and Gary both have the highest standards of quality, both in their playing and in their demands for the engineering. I did the live sound and recording for this group at Birdland Jazz Club NYC and it was an unforgettable experience, particularly as a musician.

10 Likes

5 Likes

This is US Promo 12" vinyl.

“Over and Over” are a lot of reissue 12", bootleg 12", CD, streaming, compilations, etc., but the sound quality is poor.
However, the sound quality of US Promo 12" is very supreme.
I want everyone to listen to it.

1 Like

7 Likes