Best tablet remote for Roon- Ipad? Android?

Don’t drink and touch.

2 Likes

I have a 12.9 ipad pro, yes it’s bigger but it doesn’t fulfill the entire screen when using volume. I have fixed volume, so I don’t use this feature. The screen and layout is insane on the this ipad. You can also rotate the screen and have more albums appear. On horizontal mode (standard) I get 32 albums, when rotated I get 49 albums in view, kind of cool.

Hello everyone.

I ended up getting the new ipad, and i’m very pleased with it as a roon remote.

I am now eagerly awaiting portrait mode!

Thank you for this thread. I would have much preferred the size of the 11" iPad Pro, but is appears that the narrow side resolution for Roon in portrait mode needs to be 2048 pixels, so it’s unlikely any Roon update will accommodate the 11" @ 1668 pixels in portrait.

I was able to save $230 from MSRP (plus another $85 loyalty credit) by buying a returned 12.9" iPad Pro from B&H Photo listed in 10/10 condition with 51 weeks of the manufacturer’s warranty remaining.

I said this before, and I know this horse was beaten to death, but in my opinion portrait mode for regular ipads should be a top priority. It’s ridiculous to have to drop $1k+ on a pro if you want portrait mode. I find landscape mode VERY annoying to use, and I curse constantly when I switch between Roon and other apps on my ipad. Makes the whole experience not so great.
I am a lifetime subscriber and I love Roon and I consider this one issue the most annoying thing. I don’t need or want a huge tablet the size of a small TV to use portrait mode.

1 Like

Once you have a big tablet that does portrait, you don’t use it as it’s so easy to use as landscape. That’s the irony I’m afraid…

I agree I have a Windows 11 in tablet , portrait just looks wrong, sort of stretched I always use landscape

1 Like

I run both an iPad Mini and a 9.7 as remotes. Never had any problem with either.

I’m definitely not using the best tablet for controlling Roon but one of the least expensive, a refurbished Amazon Fire HD 8 that cost $47 after tax.

It’s really too small for controlling Roon but it gets the job done and is very lightweight.

I would love to have a large iPad or Lenovo tablet but, at this point, I would rather spend that money on a new DAC.

Question: will I want a keyboard cover to go with the new 12.9" iPad pro or just a plain cover? My use: living room remote. I’m brand spanking new to Roon with an NAS library of 6,800 primarily hi-rez albums, and will add Tidal. The only other things I foresee using the iPad for is reading the news and the Kindle app. Otherwise I’m solidly Windoze/Android for my enginerding work.

I love my Pad and Quill or Dodocase covers for my iPad remotes…allow for angled viewing and can just use the onscreen keyboard esp if just using it for remote and internet surfing!
D

I really prefer portrait. Landscape does not make sense to me on an iPad or any other tablet for that matter, unless you’re watching videos/movies. I have an old Surface Pro 3 that I used as a Roon remote and I was using it in portrait as well. Not using it anymore because it runs hot and turns on its noisy fan.
Somehow Tidal, Spotify can run just fine however you want them to, Roon forces me in landscape, very, very annoying.
The value I find in Roon is metadata, information about the artist/album, so text. It’s like reading a book.
Browsing the internet is annoying in landscape, for the same reason.
Please, please make portrait mode happen.

I initially got a keyboard cover but returned it and just go with a $10 noname cover. Works fine for a remote.

Having had a 12.9" Pro for Roon I wouldn’t want one again. Too heavy and unwieldy.

The iPad Pro 12.9” is the only iPad that will allow Roon to function in both landscape and portrait modes.
IMO this advantage outweighs the weight/size issue of the larger iPad Pro.

1 Like

Firstly I love the IOS iPad experience 100% However a major limitation to the IPad is the playlists function which for some unknown reason differs to the iPhone. As you work your way down the playlists on the iPad your screen reverts back to the top (A) if you are at (Z) meaning you the have to scroll back to where you were. The iPhone on the other hand will return you back to where you are…in the playlists (Z) Hoping this makes sense and a major frustration for me being a playlist lover with a LOT of playlists. I have put this into feature requests and to date has not been actioned. Can’t really see why the difference ?