Better artist artwork handling

Ok Geoff,

I think this covers most of what I do. It can be added to if I have missed something. All this can be done in a simple freeware image editor like paint.net.

1. For full page spreads on your performer page the horizontal DPI must be at least 960 DPI. It is better if it is more. An aspect ratio of 1: 1.55 will give a full page spread but in most cases poor results because it doesn’t take account of the centering requirements of the image. Start with an aspect ratio of 1: 2.5 and experiment from there. You may need a more or less extreme aspect ratio depending on the layout of the actual image. Best results will vary from image to image.
  2. For solo artists do not choose tightly cropped and centered head shot portraits. They do not work in roon as they clash with the text layout.
  3. For solo artists choose three quarter length portraits. Action shots often work better. Singers singing, guitarists playing guitar, posers posing and composers smoking.
  4. For large groups such as orchestras and choirs, group portraits rarely work. Choose more tightly cropped action shots instead. For smaller groups, such as rock bands, group portraits staring straight into the camera often do work, especially if there is plenty of “attitude”. But care must be taken with the vertical centering requirements as in 8).
  5. If your image doesn’t meet the basic DPI and aspect ratio requirements of 1) and you are not experienced with image editors then choose an image with a plain background as it will be far less work.
  6. Crop all images, solo or group, tight to the top of the head of the tallest person in the shot.
  7. In general de-center soloists very hard to the left or right.
  8. In general de-center group shots very hard vertically.
  9. Group shots generally require less editing but with most solo shots you are going to have to expand the photo “canvas” left or right. This creates an empty background you are going to have to “flood fill” or sometimes “stretch” the existing background into. The details will vary depending on your image editor but you may need to add “blur” or “noise” to cover up the resulting “joins” in your new background.
  10. Sometimes you will have no choice or you just prefer a busier background and this can be dealt with as well. However, that is only recommended for those with more experience and with more sophisticated image processing tools.
3 Likes

…but be careful with horizontaly off center images as on a phone you can be left with something like this :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While on ipad it looks like this

Yes. It’s a problem all over roon. It’s not possible at the moment to have a one size image that fits all parts of the roon GUI or different devices. So that needs to be added into the KB, what your priorities are.

I worked for decades in the telecoms sector before the iPhone/Android duopoly. Screens were much smaller and thee was much greater variety so a great deal of time and money was spent on this so I know the problem is solvable. Not easy though.

Uploads possible? I like your Bob. Russian composers aren’t the only ones best smoking.

Looks like its working . . .

Thank you guys! Gonna use some.

Probably violated copyright by uploading modified images here…

Unfortunately, @stevev1 I have to agree with @James_I. Probably best if that link is removed.

Don’t want to poke the bear, but copyright laws have a “fair use” provision that is generally interpreted to be limited distribution and not for profit. A picture put in a personal library or several personal libraries is “fair use” IMO; a picture distributed by Roon for every subscriber requires prior approval.

I wouldn’t dare to advise anyone about a legal matter, though

My concern would be allowing the photos to remain in the forum. That’s not limited distro. Nothing may happen, but a concerted effort through this post might attract attention.

I am a copyright lawyer. Trolls are out for profit, not just to protect their rights. I’d hate to see that happen here is all.

Link’s long gone

Sorry to be a wet blanket…

Honest question: how does Google get away with making available billion of images many of which are copyrighted?

Some folks may find this helpful:

https://www.google.com/advanced_image_search

They don’t host anything but a thumbnail for the purpose of linking to the image as hosted by the owner.

1 Like

@Geoff_Coupe, I think it is time to bring in the mods and consider taking down this thread until there is clearer legal guidance in place. Even modification of images for non-commercial use may be an issue for example.

@stevev1, @tripleCrotchet, others – You all may want to start contributing to https://fanart.tv/

uh… Fair Use?

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.

1. the purpose and character of the use is not commercial in nature
  2. the copyrighted work has been presented in a beautiful manner, in the context of the original work, not used for promotion of another item
  3. while substantiality of the portion used in these images is large, they are making up a small part of the overall screenshot – additionally, they are partially obscured by cropping and/or by overlaying a masking gradient
  4. those posts have zero effect upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work

All that said, even if the copyright owner completely disagrees with my assessment, that’s cool. All they have to do is send us a DMCA takedown. We will evaluate that and possibly comply.

Until then, brainstorm and “transform” onward!

With the blessing of @danny let’s continue :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve noticed this bug returning so always back up your edits so you can re-add them!

This particular edit was more elaborate. To be able to have both band members off center I looked for a high resolution image and basically split it in two. Then copied the right side of the image and pasted it in the middle.

@stevev1, you and @Tony_Casey are quite talented.

I wonder how an artist pic becomes an official Roon artist pic? When I imported my library (mostly classical) maybe 75% of the artists were pre-populated with art. I’ve replaced maybe 10% of that with better art, but always stock stuff off the net. I haven’t dabbled with ‘photoshopping’ lately.

Seems like a natural place for a user-supported art DB/repository. And I elect Steve and Tony Chief Curators!

Submit it to http://fanart.tv. We use their db when possible.