Better sound through better Mac?

Yes, i see. That was not my intention since I am mainly in to science.
My question was mainly whether people here had this kind of experience. I thought I had read something about this? But I was wrong.

I thought I heard something positive with the new Mac but I cannot technically substantiating it. That’s why my question;)

It’s impossible to here a direct difference between the old and new situation because the enormous amount of time between the listing tests. I think the well known ‘psycho acoustic-virus’ was hitting me.
But I’m cured now :wink:

The thought that it sounded a little better was also fueled by an earlier experience that my old Mac Roon could no longer play properly. I had some dropout’s back then. But is digital audio is it; ‘it plays, or not. Not ‘Less soundstage, less bass ect ect.

1 Like

That’s good advice :wink:

1 Like

What is your experience?

True. The same goes for many cables, switches power conditioners ect.

It’s unavoidable :wink:

@Nick_Huizenhaar Oh, for sure. I do have a certain kind of admiration for companies that resell cheap network switches (not even hiding that yes, it’s a bottom of the barrel TP-Link or something) with alleged “upgrades” to people with more money than sense. And even more amusement for people who claim to hear “dramatic difference”.

Even better are companies that sell “directional” Ethernet cables, and people who buy them!

2 Likes

Yesss yes! I know the claims of that people. Many of them haven’t think about the science, but also they overestimate themselves.
And they don’t know it.
For example, many think they can remember every micro detail of the old situation when they turn off their equipment, change a cable or switch, turn the system back on, and start listing.
At least it takes about one minute to switch gear, and when they/you do it pretty silent in the room. And when it’s silent for a while your ears start to get used to that silence. And when you hit Play again then the music seems to be pretty loud.
In other words, your perspective has completely changed. How can you(they) exactly know how it sounded in the old situation?? :man_shrugging:t2:

Or, here in my country was a nice blind audio test set up by audio forum members.
They were allowed to bring their own speakers and test them with other speakers. They had to say blindly when they heard their own speakers.
Maybe you guessed it,… it didn’t really manage to recognize their own speakers blindly. Just not.
A blind cable test went the same. Sometimes the most cheap 20 year old cable sounded the most beautiful. Well :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Cupertino bits, guys! Of course these do sound better :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Duh! Of course! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Here’s a blind test: How many times can you hear the audience laugh during Keith Jarrett’s Koln concert?

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean by this?

Nick, I think you already know the answer. It’s probably not possible, unless the old machine is so slow it is unable to keep up with the processing demands.

1 Like

I know. I didn’t claim anything, I just asked if it was possible :wink:

I had in mind that my older Mac had some drop-outs when it was struggling with some heaving equalization filters.
And with my new Mac I THOUGT to hear something better. But could it be better sounding? I can’t figure out a way why it should be possible. It’s a computer and then there’s no ‘in between’. Or it functions, or not.

But some psycho acoustic hit me I guess;)

A common affliction among audiophiles. Recognize and you’ll be on the road to recovery.

Dunning-Kruger effect, I guess.

Math is math, for sure. Perhaps the code introduces noise by rounding or skipping samples or the like when the HW can’t keep up?

If that makes you feel better…

Are you talking to me? I’ll think it’s a bit (very) quick to say it’s all psycho acoustic.

Roon does math in 64bit floating point, so there are no rounding errors to worry about. And when hardware can’t keep up, it usually drops entire frames, which would cause clicks, pops and dropouts. There is no progressive or subtle reduction in quality.

1 Like

I think this was said … And i really don’t know why it isn’t sinking in.