Between DENAFRIPS TERMINATOR-PLUS And Holo Audio - May DAC - KTE Edition

Apologies, about the delayed response… I was travelling… Like every person who has used T+ with GAIA, it is simply awesome… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Wouter,

Yes, I definitely prefer the I2S interface over the direct USB, but that is my subjective opinion. I also got the Gaia so I could convert optical from my Oppo transport to I2S, so just made sense for me.

Essential? No. Preferred? Heck ya! :+1:

3 Likes

Thank you Scott for your reply and feedback!

Wouter

Just bought the T+ - amazing sound!
Wouter

2 Likes

Woohoo! Congrats Wouter!

1 Like

So many happy campers…thats a rare and good thing! Curious why the Totaldac doesn’t figure into these discussions? Price is pretty close compared to the higher end versions of Denafrips and Holo (to be fair the cheapest Totaldac is close to the most expensive of the others).
I’m sure they all sound good and I doubt many folks have been able to listen to all of them at the same time, so I’m not looking for “mine is the best”.
I looked (not listened) at all 3 brands and ended up with Totaldac.
Enjoy!

Holo May KTE - hands down, winner :1st_place_medal:

Edit: Oh you picked the other dac, my condolences.

2 Likes

Now added Gaia too:-)

1 Like

Have you heard both dacs in the same system? Why was the may better to you ?

Hi Scott,
I currently have a hard time deciding between terminator plus and vega g2.1. Could you give me some details about how does terminator plus beats g2 stacks in terms of sound quality? Thanks a lot for your help.
Jian

I’ve never heard the Holo May DAC, but I’ll add my vote as another happy T+ owner. Over the past 18 months, I’ve progressed from an Yggy A2 to a Terminator, then added a Gaia, and then upgraded to a T+.

The biggest out-of-the-box jump in SQ was adding the Gaia to the Terminator and switching to i2s. But once settled in, both the Terminator and Terminator Plus were noticeable and worthwhile upgrades.

My current configuration (EtherRegen → Roon ROCK with LPS → AQ Diamond USB → Gaia → Argentus Tubulus i2s → Terminator Plus) delivers a deep 3-dimensional sound stage with excellent dynamics and clarity and gorgeous vocals (important to me).

I have a Sonore OpticalRendu that I am waiting on a power supply to hook up to see if that provides a noticeable improvement, but it’s hard to believe it can get much better.

1 Like

I own the Holo May KTE Dac. It is exceptoinal.

Until today I was using the May with a Ropiee Roon endpoint (an Allo DigiOne Signature) via Stealth coax to a Denafrips GAIA to the Dac via another Stealth coax).

Today I got a new USB cable and connected the May directly to the Roon ROCK server (on an Intel NUC 10).

It is significantly better than coax. The USB receiver on the Holo May is incredble. The Intul Nuc 10 Roon ROCK server is just using the stock switching power supply. The May USB receiver galvanically isolates the input, so it does not seem to matter.

It looks as if the original poster went with the Terminator +, but if anyone is reaading this and considering the Holo May KTE edition, I can certainly endorse it. I haven’t tried the the Denafrips Terminator, so can’t compare directly. The Holo May, however, has true hardware DSD decoding, unlike the Terminator.

Goldensound has recently posted two very detailed reviews of the Holo May KTE for the curious. Holo Audio May Review - Part 1 - Going the extra mile - YouTube

Happy listening!

3 Likes

Now also part 2.

Happy with my T+:-)

Interesting: from this thread The Terminator and a DDC (Gaia) Digital to Digital Converter together increases SQ. Is a DDC overlooked or has USB implementation in current DAC’s sorted themselves out (USB into DDC/SPIDF out??)

This also confirms what I have heard a few reviewers who espoused the benefits of a DDC. Considering the price point of the Terminator also …! Gustard also recommend their U16 DDC into its DAC’s for SQ+.

I have been using various DDC/reclocker for a number of years now and IMHO DDCs do make a step yet worthwhile difference to in there day Chord reference DAC and PS-Audio DAC. SPIDF over ethernet/USB DAC inputs for better SQ.

Looks like the Terminator benefits from a DDC what about the Holo May?

I will be able to answer that soon, as I ordered a Holo May KTE about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Sold my T+ in a day (locally, to boot)…and took a mere 20% hit. Not bad for the 1000’s of hours I put on that thing for a year.

I still have the Gaia, as I want to test the quality from SOtM s200 Ultra streamer via USB to Gaia USB in and Gaia i2S out to May. I have heard the May has an amazing USB interface, so if it sounds as good or better than i2S via Gaia, I will probably just keep the Gaia for coax to i2S conversion from CD transport to May…while going USB direct from streamer to May.

Will let you know!

-Scott

1 Like

At least my self and I will be impatiently waiting for your experience with the Mighty HOLA MAY…

When are you expecting to have it with you ?

Warm regards
-Miguel

The only annoying part. They say anywhere from 4-6 weeks to build…been just over 2 1/2 weeks…but whose counting? :upside_down_face:

I know, this hobby is about patience and having enough nails to wait ! :grimacing:

Hello Charles,

Have you connected the HOLO MAY KTE to the GAIA via i2s, if yes, what have been your result ?

Thanks !

I got my May KTE a few days ago, and I have yet to get the Gaia working with it for I2S, but at this point I might just sell the Gaia, as the USB on the May is out of this world, and I really dont need it anymore.

Anyone reading this ever get a Denafrips Gaia DDC to work with the Holo May KTE? I tried all 4 preset I2S PIN layouts on the May, and none could connect to the Gaia successfully.