Bit depth conversion 24 to 16

Hi everyone,

I am using a PI4 with RoPieeeXL to stream via USB to a B&W A7 speaker in my room. This particular speaker has a DAC capable to 24/96. It is identify by Roon as an A7, but I think is just a digital identifier… any way, my question is…Why is Roon lowering the bit depth to the A7, Is there anything I can do to fix this? …although may be is a waste of time to be concern about this on this particular speaker anyway… but just in case this is easy to solve as I am quit new to Roon.

I don’t know if this will be the fix but there is a setting for maximum bit depth buried in the device settings. Click on the volume icon and then click on the icon of a gear COG. A window will pop up in the middle of the screen. Go to the bottom and click on Device Setup. In the new window that appears, go to the bottom and click on Show Advanced. There will be a setting “Max bits per sample (PCM)” See what that is set to. It may be set to 16 bit. Click on it to change it to 24 . If that is not it then let us know and someone else will eventually chime in

1 Like

Thank you @AnimalOnDrums but this are the only options offered by Roon on the device setup.
Am I missing something?

Juan

Likely no drivers for Linux for those speakers, Ropieee runs Linux so it’s reporting back what its capable of to Roon. Not much you can do unless Harry @spockfish can find a driver.

Roon queries device capabilities. In this case this is probably reported back by the device that it only does 16 bit.

1 Like

Thank you all for explaining this.

Juan