Blues or Blues-based Rock

10 Likes

10 Likes

images (2) (22)

12 Likes

As I recall Big Bill Broonzy was one of David Gilmour’s inspirations.

There are not enough recommendations here! About enough to last a decade. But if you want something really modern, check out the sister group Larkin Poe…

5 Likes

What a great thread - !
As Muddy Waters said, ‘the Blues had a baby, and they named it rock and roll -’ I’m right there with you on “Since I Been Loving You” - I’d also give a nod to, ‘I Can’t Quit You Baby’ from Zep’s first album -

It’s well documented that most, if not all of those early British rock guitar guys, (Page, Clapton, Beck, Richards, Winwood, etc) were influenced by several of the Chicago Blues players -notably Muddy and Howling Wolf. - A great record is the ‘London Sessions’ that joins Howling Wolf with Clapton and Winwood, among others:

https://i.imgur.com/xic4tGk.png

Another collaboration type album is, ‘Checkerboard Lounge: Live Chicago 1981’ This was record on the off night of the Stones 3 night run in Chicago down on the southside’s Checkerboard Lounge with Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy Junior and Junior Wells… It’s a little sloppy, and there is video of it, which really captures the essence of the evening better than just the CD… None the less, it was a wild night for sure…

https://i.imgur.com/5IaqeZK.png

There’s so many Blues guys I absolutely love - too many for just one post - but top on my list that I’d recommend that folks haven’t mentioned yet are:

Albert Collins: ( All his albums are great)

https://i.imgur.com/yLpQOS2.png

Son Seals:

https://i.imgur.com/hzIpxCG.png

Luther Allison:

https://i.imgur.com/JttVFhJ.png

6 Likes

Y’all may remember that Lynyrd Skynyrd was also Blues inspired. Eg. Ballad of Curtis Lowe. What an interesting mental image of them in an old place on outskirts of Jacksonville in high heat and humidity, writing these songs. I am certain it beat studying math and English. Long-haired country boys.

2 Likes

Great call!
Have all of their output in my library.
Highly recommended for a modern take.

Useless (full?) Piece of trivia.
Leon Wilkeson used to live 5 houses up the street from myself…

1 Like

Just remembered: When they took the iconic photo of Robert Johnson to make a postage stamp, they edited out his cigarette.

Yet he was born in Rhode Island. They were quite a bunch with several tragedies. First to use three guitars as I recall. Ronnie van Zandt was a real badass as well. Several icons died in small engine flights. The Day(s) the Music Died.

1 Like

Donnie can still be seen occasionally riding his bicycle around the neighborhood.
You could be right on the triple axe attack.

Nothing to do with blues in truth although most great guitarists have some blues in the soul but another small plane tragedy that still hurts was Randy Rhoads.

1 Like

I think that Skynyrd would attribute their Southern Rock to the Blues. I know Allman Brothers would (“This is an old Elmore James song…I must have did somebody wrong.”). Not so much Marshall Tucker or Charlie Daniels.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - I got the same old blues

“Have you heard that rumor that’s goin’ around
My baby’s got a man, lord way across town
Its the same old story
Tell me where will it end
Yes I heard the news its the same old blues again”

etc

1 Like

9 Likes

RoonShareImage-637769836115366690

5 Likes

“Loan Me A Dime” by Boz Scaggs is a Blues genre song that I have always enjoyed. This brings to mind that while I like certain Blues artists, I do not like some, sometimes a lot, of what they release. Thus, it is difficult for me, as an individual, to state that “this is a favorite artist” since it is often split. (Example: I like some of what Clapton has released but certainly not the majority. Proportionately, I am more likely to enjoy more of Cat Stevens work than that of Clapton.

So, I started this thread, and I hope that others are learning (or being reminded of) great artists, albums and/or songs.

And I hope that all of us will have many more artists and music to recommend in this genre.

BTW, and this may be obscure, but I have a foreign (to me) friend who is an exceptional musician (primarily guitar). I like a lot of the music that attracts him, but he feels that the Blues is primitive, simplistic and wholly boring. Indeed, I am not certain he even considers it music(al).

3 Likes

The Bondi Cigars
Mighty Reapers
The Faces
Rory Gallagher/Taste
John Mayall
SRV
Pinetop Perkins

the list goes on but I’ll stop there

2 Likes

And who is the top selling Blues artist today? Joe Bonamassa.

1 Like

That’s an interesting question, Joe makes a lot of album’s but has a relatively smallish but loyal following (count me as a fan).

Not sure he is that well known by most fans (and our hard won over wives), but then are any other modern Blues artist’s.

Best Sellers in Blues

1. #1. Time Clocks. Joe Bonamassa. …
  2. #2. Josey and The Whalers. Josey and The Whalers. …
  3. #3. Blues With Friends. Dion. …
  4. #4. Alligator Records 50 Years Of Genuine… Various artists. …
  5. #5. Pinky’s Blues. Sue Foley. …
  6. #6. Lightnin’ Hopkins. Lightnin’ Hopkins. …
  7. #7. Trailride Certified 2. Jeter Jones. …
  8. #8. A Southern Gothic. Adia Victoria.