Blues or Blues-based Rock

Played up until recently with John Mayall’s road band

Toronzo Cannon

Altered Five Blues Band

Just a killer shot I took of KWS this summer :grinning:

2 Likes

3 Likes

For many in the South, the Blues got a rebirth with that Allman Bros but especially Live At The Fillmore.

If you splice together Whipping Post and the lengthy Mountain Jam from Eat A Peach, it is actually one song.

1 Like

I actually listened to that a few days ago for the very first time and posted it in the Rock thread.
While my blues knowledge has a lot of learning to go, I surprised myself how much I already have, so the journey has begun.

Not sure you’re thoughts on these as a Blues/Rock cross. A fairly big fan of multiple of his bands and solo work.

4 Likes

I am not familiar with more modern Blues. Almost all of my Blues based CDs are more roots oriented or the blues-based Southern Rock; a generational thing. Less notes is more.

“The blues scale is a six-note progression that sounds right at home in blues, rock, and country music. This scale is essentially the pentatonic scale plus one chromatic note, often called the blue note. This extra step gives the blues scale that unmistakably bluesy sound.”

2 Likes

There is a DVD collection we own in which the Deep South is toured, talking to and listening to roots music. (DVD is a shiny thing you stick in a PlayStation).

One time, a long time ago, I was in New Orleans, and there was a stripper in back alley. Her music was a guy on guitar. She was okay, but his guitar work was excellent. My friends said that I was looking the wrong direction.

3 Likes

Elvis talked about his Blues influence in the mid-50s. However, the roots of Rock emerging from Blues was apparent by the late 40s. Elvis recorded “That’s Alright Mama” at Sun Records and Sam Phillips signed Blues musicians. Hound Dog was a Bluesy Rocker before Elvis recorded it. It, like Country Music, is America, and their blending of the two was what evoked what became known as Rock. (In 1951, Cleveland-based disc jockey Alan Freed popularized the term "rock and roll " on mainstream radio. It emerged from the concept of a ship rocking and rolling on the sea. Blues had various styles based upon migration to Chicago and Memphis. Each had its own particular style.

2 Likes

Got the stereo cranked up listening to Shemekia Copeland, who is the daughter of the great Johnny Copeland, good stuff!

6 Likes

And she had a great name.

1 Like

Never heard of Kingfish until he showed up at the Waterfront Blues Festival in 2019

It is an understatement to say he blew us away.

4 Likes

That young man is a pretty amazing talent IMHO.
Glad you enjoyed his show.

1 Like

51H25lJ1dbL

7 Likes

Another good listen here with an interesting review. Carey Bell recently had a mild stroke before performing this concert in a wheelchair, pretty amazing job!

3 Likes

The hill country blues was a style of blues ‘round Elvis’ neck of the woods, defined by Mississippi Fred McDowell in the '60s, and made even more popular in the '90s with the likes of Junior Kimbrough and R.L. Burnside. Here are a few of my favs from this genre…

https://i.imgur.com/JPTIR9p.png

https://i.imgur.com/V4I54Et.png

https://i.imgur.com/aA70vv8.png

11 Likes

7 Likes

I’ve always been a big fan of Mighty Sam McClain

1 Like

5 Likes

Just ripped this to my local library, I’d forgotten how good it was.

I have the 2CD album, with the 2nd Disc titled “Paul Rodgers - The History” - half a dozen of his classics from the Free and Bad Company Days

8 Likes

Been listening to a lot of Ronnie Earl lately.
Ronnie Earl - Live Germany 1996